Electrical, wiring question. Big 3

Participant count
  • Participant list

evanirr
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok my question is.. what if instead of doing the big 3. I just leave all the stock wiring in place, and run 1/0 gauge from my alternator pos, to my batteries in the back, and grounding the batteries back there. Is there a problem with this?? any input would be greatly appreciated

do the big three and you can still run from the alternator to the back batteries...and your back batteries need to be grounded anyways...but why not just run from pos to pos and neg to neg batts.

well if i just did the run of 1/0 gauge to the back batteries.. why would i have to do the big 3?? The battery up front will not be used to power the system like this. And i wouldnt have to run a whole bunch of wiring. I just want to know if it will work fine like this

well if i just did the run of 1/0 gauge to the back batteries.. why would i have to do the big 3?? The battery up front will not be used to power the system like this. And i wouldnt have to run a whole bunch of wiring. I just want to know if it will work fine like this
Just stop being lazy and do the big 3. You can't just say the battery up front won't be used for the system, it's still going to be connected in parallel with the back batteries and thus be part of the complete electrical system. Grounding the engine block is essentially grounding the chassis of the alternator which is required for you to have a complete 1/0 circuit. If you left that part out you might as well run 8 gauge power from your alt to your batts.

Bottom line is, just do the big 3. There's a reason it's recommended so highly and hasn't been changed in years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.