Electrical Upgrade Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have my amp wired up to 4 ohm and its putting out 1500w rms right now. I'm going to be wiring it up at 2 ohm (where output is around 2600 rms) so I think Im going to need to do a bit more to my electrical.

I have 1/0 Knu Kolossus OFC for my big three and a single run back to my amp. I have a yellow top optima under the hood and a 220 amp alt.

With my current setup I rarely see it drop under 13.5V (Lowest I ever saw it was 12.8).

So should I upgrade and if so what should I do? I've thought about upgrading alt to a Mechman 350A and getting like an XS batt in the rear. Electrical gets pricey... If anyone has better suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

I'm running 3k with a 240amp alt and an isolated yellow top.... lowest drop is 12.9.

You should consider replacing your starting battery with a real starting battery, and isolate your yellowtop to run ONLY your amp(s).

I've never done anything with isolating batteries any chance you could explain that to me? And give me a price range around how much it'll cost?

Also If anyone has specific brand and model recommendations for batts or alts that would be great.

I've never done anything with isolating batteries any chance you could explain that to me? And give me a price range around how much it'll cost?
Also If anyone has specific brand and model recommendations for batts or alts that would be great.
You don't need to isolate the batts. I don't. Also I'm the singer alt rep here if you need as far as batts there are many I've used quite a few different ones I use what's in my sig personally I've had xs power. I'm a dealer for them. But I've also had kinetik Batcap Deka and c&d my odyssey bats have so far been the best

I have absolutely no idea HOW it works, but it controls the the power coming from the alternator to where ever it is needed more.

You can get a 200 amp isolater for

Optimas are great, but they are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to price lol.

XS and Kinetic batteries are very good as well.

All an isolator does is separate the two batts so when the car is running it charges both batts But when the car is off the stereo will only pull from one battery not both so the cars battery doesn't get drained

So if you have two different batteries wouldn't an isolator be good? When your car is off the batteries would constantly try to equalize without one wouldn't they? Or am is that negligible to the battery life?
First part, yes... I don't know about the second part, but it sounds logical. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have a duralast acid battery under the hood, and the isolater separates it from my Optima.

The cheap duralast starts and runs my truck, and the optima only powers my amps.

So if you have two different batteries wouldn't an isolator be good? When your car is off the batteries would constantly try to equalize without one wouldn't they? Or am is that negligible to the battery life?
Only issue here is you shouldn't mix batts. When the car is running the electrical system runs as a whole only with the car off are the batts isolated from each other but the lower charged battery will pull the higher charged battery down when the cars running this can lessen the life of your battery

Hmm I see where you're coming from with that one though when the car is running won't both amps be charging off the alt? So they shouldn't be at different levels of charge? Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

Simple solution to the problem.. Ill just run the same batteries throughout.

Hmm I see where you're coming from with that one though when the car is running won't both amps be charging off the alt? So they shouldn't be at different levels of charge? Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
That's what I do

That's what I do

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.