eld byoass not working

lol sorry guys posted it from mobile didnt want to take alot of time.

i did the eld bypass with the 5 pin bosch type relay 20/30a wired it exactly like @keep_hope_alive; did and it wont work the car is a 1997 acura 3.0cl

how are you monitoring the work you did? did you measure the voltage seen by the ECM both before and after the mod? how are you observing the status of the alternator?

the ECM will tell the alt to turn off when several circumstances present themselves. typically while driving, not while parked, not when the battery voltage is already low, not when the ECM sees more than a certain voltage across the ELD. For me, it was around 2.2VDC across the ELD when the alt would come back on. I verified this by turning on all ignition loads on the load side of the ELD (by referring to the Service Manual schematic) - but the biggest load is the A/C and radio. With the A/C and radio on, i saw around 2.2VDC, so I used the resistor to achieve 1.8VDC. it is important to keep in mind that you're tying the resistor to the ELD ground, not chassis ground. voltage is relative. with an open circuit, the ECM should give 5VDC to the ELD. current through the ELD increases resistance and causes the voltage across the ELD to decrease.

i used the relay to bypass the factory ELD in place of a resistor. my head unit remote output provides +12VDC to the relay coil, and a switch connects the other side of the relay coil to ground.

you need to make sure the 5-pin relay you are using has a true N.O. and N.C. contact. I've seen some 5-pin relays with two N.O. contacts tied in parallel. The only way to be sure, is use your DMM.

Over the years, i've done a lot of wiring projects. i'll usually draw out a circuit when attempting something for the first time. I've thought I had things perfect, but it didn't work. that is the point where you draw out what you did (while looking at it - don't try to copy the diagram, just draw how you did it). then measure voltage at nodes and compare with what you expect to see. typically, while drawing it out, you find the problem and feel like an idiot. i know. i've been there.

how are you monitoring the work you did? did you measure the voltage seen by the ECM both before and after the mod? how are you observing the status of the alternator?
the ECM will tell the alt to turn off when several circumstances present themselves. typically while driving, not while parked, not when the battery voltage is already low, not when the ECM sees more than a certain voltage across the ELD. For me, it was around 2.2VDC, so I used the resistor to achieve 1.8VDC.

i used the relay to bypass the factory ELD in place of a resistor. my head unit remote output provides +12VDC to the relay coil, and a switch connects the other side of the relay coil to ground.

you need to make sure the 5-pin relay you are using has a true N.O. and N.C. contact. I've seen some 5-pin relays with two N.O. contacts tied in parallel. The only way to be sure, is use your DMM.

I've thought I had things perfect, but it didn't work. that is the point where you draw out what you did (while looking at it - don't try to copy the diagram, just draw how you did it). then measure voltage at nodes and compare with what you expect to see.
i did it exactly as you did lol that skips me having to tell you how i did it. the only thing i did diff was the power to the relay and the toggle switch i used. and also can you tell me where you had your meters and what to look for when measuring? here is the relay i used.

12V DC Bosch Style 20A/30A Car Auto SPDT Relay Harness | eBay

let me know man. alsso pm me your number i can text a few pics.

sure, i'll PM

what's different about relay coil power and toggle? it's not "exactly the same" when something is different. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

using relay wire colors in that link:

yellow gets +12VDC from ignition or HU remote out (switched somehow to turn off with car). coil + 86

black gets grounded (may or may not be switched). coil - 85

blue connects to ECM. common 30

white connects to ELD. N.C. 87a

red connects to resistor. N.O. 87

it is important not to cut the black ELD wire. doing so won't hurt anything, but it won't work either.

ELD_relaybypassV1-1.jpg

you want to measure the voltage the ECM sees with and without the relay engaged, with and without ignition load (no bypass). meter leads are on the two ELD wires you intercepted - green/red to meter + and black to meter -.

sure, i'll PM
what's different about relay coil power and toggle? it's not "exactly the same" when something is different. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

using relay wire colors in that link:

yellow gets +12VDC from ignition or HU remote out (switched somehow to turn off with car). coil + 86

black gets grounded (may or may not be switched). coil - 85

blue connects to ECM. common 30

white connects to ELD. N.C. 87a

red connects to resistor. N.O. 87

it is important not to cut the black ELD wire. doing so won't hurt anything, but it won't work either.

ELD_relaybypassV1-1.jpg

you want to measure the voltage the ECM sees with and without the relay engaged, with and without ignition load (no bypass). meter leads are on the two ELD wires you intercepted - green/red to meter + and black to meter -.
ok i didnt use those colour codes but i did the pins like it should be the colours on mine are

white-power

yellow-resistor

rest i forgot ill text you in the am i think the fact i used an spdt relay had alot to do with it.

step one - you can hear/feel the relay change state when you use the toggle switch or turn on/off the car. always check that first.

step two - measure voltage across the ELD. this is basically done between relay pin 30 and the black ELD ground wire. the pics in my thread with dual meters used some wiring from my ELD wiring intercept into the car. normally, you won't be able to do that as easily. for the thread, i wanted to demonstrate what voltages you should see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.