Efficient components for stock HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

strobe

CarAudio.com Regular
Sugon
Looking to get some efficient components to run off my stock HU in the front doors as a next step. Stock headunit is made by pioneer so it's decent on the output and I already covered the doors in noico. Currently running 2 JL10tw3's on an lc1-800. I know amped is better, but with my current setup that's not an option. The JL C1-650 look decent, but I'm really not a fan of the harshness of aluminum tweeters I've heard otherwise I would have already ordered the set to test. The alpine s-series components seems like the lowest tier silk dome I can find, but those are going to be too power hungry for the stock HU to get by.

Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:
Looking to get some efficient components to run off my stock HU in the front doors as a next step. Stock headunit is made by pioneer so it's decent on the output and I already covered the doors in noico. Currently running 2 JL10tw3's on an lc1-800. I know amped is better, but with my current setup that's not an option. The JL C1-650 look decent, but I'm really not a fan of the harshness of aluminum tweeters I've heard otherwise I would have already ordered the set to test. The alpine s-series components seems like the lowest tier silk dome I can find, but those are going to be too power hungry for the stock HU to get by.

Anyone have suggestions?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GX600C/JBL-GX600C.html

$79 on Amazon

Did some more reading and found supporting reviews that the Jl c1 tweeters have a smooth sound not too harsh even though it's an aluminum dome (silk surround). Crutchfield had a 6x9 set on scratch n dent and they're sold out everywhere else so I grabbed it, worst case returns with them are easy. 6x9s also had higher sens at 94db compared to the 6.5s. Will report back if they're the ticket or if I'll be returning for something else. I would have tried the cerwins but multiple reviews state the tweeters are harsh and that's one of the main things I'm trying to avoid

If you're buying based on sensitivity(efficiency) you should look into how they came up with that number. I know there are two definitions or ways they measure that. A speaker that claims 93 db is probably using the more generous method and may really have the same sensitivity as a another company's speaker that only claims 88 db.

Gotcha, I didn’t know that 3ohm and whatever would make that much of a difference. Guess because is h/u power vs an amp.
I don't think all the JBL lineup uses that 3 ohm impedance. Overall I've had great luck with Harmon International products for decades so I was going to suggest JBL/Infinity for such an application.

I have not been impressed with Alpine Type S. R series and above are nice but I think S is pretty poor, I'd go with Kicker or Polk over Alpine at that price point.

Also worth mentioning location/aiming of the tweeters will probably make much more of a difference than diaphragm material. I wouldn't get so hung up over paper/silk/metal dome.

I don't think all the JBL lineup uses that 3 ohm impedance. Overall I've had great luck with Harmon International products for decades so I was going to suggest JBL/Infinity for such an application.

I have not been impressed with Alpine Type S. R series and above are nice but I think S is pretty poor, I'd go with Kicker or Polk over Alpine at that price point.

Also worth mentioning location/aiming of the tweeters will probably make much more of a difference than diaphragm material. I wouldn't get so hung up over paper/silk/metal dome.

This is basically the answer, however most of the kickers I've heard in non amped applications sounded pretty muddy. Alpine S is pretty poor. IMO, polk db+ is the go to for non amp factory replacement. Not the greatest speakers ever made, but for the money they are pretty crisp and get loud on factory power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...