Alpine s-s65c Components.

I bought a set of alpine s-s65c components for the doors in my truck. I bought it in combo with a Rockville amp that puts out like 90rms x2 @4 (i think) and ran that to the speakers (obviously).

Then i put in a 1200w Skar amp I had on 2 dual 4 ohm Sundown SD-10's.

I kind of just threw this all together haphazardly.. But that's what is in there now.

The Subs sound good. Not earth shaking loud, but that is ok, the speakers sound decent, but have nowhere near the volume to keep up with the bass to my liking.

I'm contemplating putting more power to the Alpines. Like possibly putting a 2000w @1 ohm amp on the subs then taking that 1200 and putting it on the alpines. I think that amp does 500w @ 4ohm, so that would be 250 per side (which just so happens to be their peak rating) to the alpines.

Is this just going to get me a bunch of headache, or is there a chance that would work out well? I'd prefer to not just ditch the whole deal, but if i have to, well... it is what it is. As you can probably tell, money IS an object. I have two dogs, a wife, two kids and a race program. I'm a farmer, its not exactly a get rich quick career... I can't go throwing thousands of dollars at my (work) truck.

I bought a set of alpine s-s65c components for the doors in my truck. I bought it in combo with a Rockville amp that puts out like 90rms x2 @4 (i think) and ran that to the speakers (obviously).

Then i put in a 1200w Skar amp I had on 2 dual 4 ohm Sundown SD-10's.

I kind of just threw this all together haphazardly.. But that's what is in there now.

The Subs sound good. Not earth shaking loud, but that is ok, the speakers sound decent, but have nowhere near the volume to keep up with the bass to my liking.

I'm contemplating putting more power to the Alpines. Like possibly putting a 2000w @1 ohm amp on the subs then taking that 1200 and putting it on the alpines. I think that amp does 500w @ 4ohm, so that would be 250 per side (which just so happens to be their peak rating) to the alpines.

Is this just going to get me a bunch of headache, or is there a chance that would work out well? I'd prefer to not just ditch the whole deal, but if i have to, well... it is what it is. As you can probably tell, money IS an object. I have two dogs, a wife, two kids and a race program. I'm a farmer, its not exactly a get rich quick career... I can't go throwing thousands of dollars at my (work) truck.

I wouldn't put 250w rms each to those alpines. They are a budget speaker to begin with, you'd probably end up blowing them up. Max power rating of speakers does not mean max rms power you can put to them. Don't even look at peak power on speakers or amps, rms is what you are looking at.

That said, your Rockville amp is probably junk. That doesn't mean it won't push a set of comps though. What is the amp model? Other things also come in to play here. Your install, speaker placement, speaker sensitivity, amp settings.

What head unit are you running?

I'm unsure how the head unit comes into play, but it's a Joying android based unit. Been in there about two weeks. Had a pioneer in before that.

The Rockville amp is junk. That's for sure. It's there "1000w" two channel. It's like $75. That's why I wanted to put another amp on them. I'd rather use what I have. And I have that 1200w skar (which I want to replace). But what I want to work and what actually works.... Well, unfortunately one has no effect on the other ..

Most of the components I see have about that same wattage rating. The 100rms area. So I'm not quite sure how to get my desired volume levels cleanly.

What's the path? Without spending $1800 on a set of speakers and an amp...

Head units come into play all the time in car audio. A good head unit with the proper voltage will always sound better then those Chinese Android units.

Better the head unit the better the sound is throughout the whole system especially when using amplifiers and quality speakers. Those Android units stink compared to a good Pioneer, Sony, Alpine or Kenwood. Same with rockville junk amplifiers on the level of Boss and Pyle.

Same thing with rca cables, cheap walmart cables or ones like it from amazon or ebay will sound like crap compared to a good name brand set.

Head units come into play all the time in car audio. A good head unit with the proper voltage will always sound better then those Chinese Android units.

Better the head unit the better the sound is throughout the whole system especially when using amplifiers and quality speakers. Those Android units stink compared to a good Pioneer, Sony, Alpine or Kenwood. Same with rockville junk amplifiers on the level of Boss and Pyle.

Same thing with rca cables, cheap walmart cables or ones like it from amazon or ebay will sound like crap compared to a good name brand set.

Yeah this is what I was referring to. Voltage and quality from the head unit RCAs plays a huge role in sound quality and sound volume.

Also, cheap doesn't mean bad. You can get cheap 2 channels and 4 channels that are great amps. A taramps wouldn't run you much more than that Rockville, and they actually do rated power or above and sound good doing it.

The Skar 1200 amplifier is a mono subwoofer amplifier. It doesn’t play full range sound. You can’t use it on your door speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...