Dust cover cold but I smell something

Participant count
  • Participants list

Trickster29

CarAudio.com Newbie
Trying to ease my anxiety,

After reading a ton of posts that say for the most part as long as you're not clipping and the power is clean, you can virtually drive the speakers on any wattage. For any clean wattage high enough to mechanically break them that you could drive them at would melt your ears first.

I bought myself a sundown salt 500.4 in which I'm using to drive my front Hertz Mille Legend MLK 165.3s, it sounds great even at this gain setting. (I'm only using CH1 and CH2, Amp is not bridged I'm saving the other channels for the rear speakers when I eventually buy them)

At some volumes I smell something but I touch the dust cover and the speaker is only luke warm like as if you're touching someone's hand type hot maybe even less than that. Crossovers are the same story temp wise. (I say this cause I blew up a set of JL C5 650s and there crossovers were burning before they blew)

I have blown up a JL 8W7 before and before it blew its dust cover was so hot its insane,like burning hot (I replaced it with a 13w7 which has ran cold/barely warm for hours of listening for 3 years now I'm very happy with its volume alot of the time)

Needless to say I've learned alot in my experiences

So like I cannot put 2 and 2 together I do not understand.

If I lower the volume it sounds a bit quiet.

My AMM1 says no clipping and the lights on the Salt also say no clipping.

Is it possible that that's just how the inside of my door smells and the speaker moving air is pushing that smell up to me? oddly it's only the driver side that experiences it. The speaker still sounds great and seems mechanically fine. It's just off-putting :/

Would a speaker really melt with a cold dust cover???

Edit: I've figured it out, the speaker was over-exerting, I could see it with my eyes exerting way more than 5mm (the Xmax of the hertz mid driver), after following Hertz recommendation to run the high pass filter at 250hz, the speakers have played at the same volume fine without any smell with no noticeable difference other than how far the driver is exerting

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...