Edifier t5 subwoofer issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

bundsss

CarAudio.com Newbie
Brazil
Hey guys, idk if this is the exactly correct forum to post a post like this (since my subwoofer is used on my house, and not on my car hahaha), but I think you guys could at least help me answer it.

My desktop sound setup is an edifier r1280DB and an edifier subwoofer T5. I bought both of them almost an year ago, and as soon as I started testing the subwoofer, I noticed a (at that date) quite vibration noise when playing some frequencies. At that time, I contacted edifier and they said that it was “normal” and that I shouldn’t care about it.

Here’s the video I sent them at the time (1yr ago~): https://youtube.com/shorts/qvKk7RmOqGs?feature=share

I moved on and this week I started noticing that the noise is getting worse, it is a LOT louder and I can notice it almost everytime the subwoofer is playing and not anymore on only some frequencies like before (now I can hear this noise on almost any frequency, and even if I'm playing realy low on volume). I have the impression that there is something loose inside the woofer and is vibrating inside it. I’m also noticing that the woofer is a little less “punchy” and that the bass isn’t like before, it is less “effective” (but I'm not 100% sure about this part, since I noticed it today).

Here is a video of it now:
https://youtube.com/shorts/vBR8Rgslw_o?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/Eg7P1ycA-Ao?feature=share

Any hint of what could be causing it?
I can record more videos with specific music/sound/volume if needed.

I have the impression that there is something loose inside the woofer and is vibrating inside it.

Or possibly something lose or leaking with the box. Seem coming unglued or a screw fell out and air whistling out the screw hole or woofer not mounted snug.

Still though it sounds like mechanical failure of the woofer itself. Either a joint coming unglued or the coil was misaligned or deformed.

If you can remove the woofer from the box use gentle pressure to check all the joints. Spider to frame, spider to coil former, cone to coil former, surround to frame, and surround to cone body. A little dab of Amazing Goop brand glue or thick cyanoacrylate glue would sort out anything that was coming apart. If you have floating tinsel leads they may be slapping the cone when it moves, this can be band-aided by gluing a little bit of soft felt where the tinsel lead slaps on the cone.

Check for obvious joints failing and report back.

Shame on that company for telling you that's a normal sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...