Dynamat? sound dampening advice needed!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

ndalton

I need help, i am really new to all of this. I have a 1978 toyota pick up that i am putting two 10" subs in. they aren't the greatest but they bump and sound amazing for the price of free. I want to sound proof the interior and possible stop or at least reduce rattle on the exterior as well. I know that two tens aren't going to hit super hard to make much rattle but its also to stop the sound of the wheels and engine. I looked into Dynamat and Fatmat and even a liquid sound dampener but i read other threads on it and it said that liquid is almost useless. i also thought a about bedliners and rubberized spray sealant. what do all of you think? any advice and or info is and will be greatly appreciated.

btw my truck is all metal body

The proper term is "sound damping". Dampening is what happens in the shower. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Note that while that link reports 25% is the minimum required for a level of damping, don't neglect to address transmission loss. To increase transmission loss (I.e. reduce sound passing through the thin metal) you need 100% coverage of a decoupled barrier, such as 1 lb/sf MLV with a padding. Ideally, you would have both deadening and a barrier. And you get what you pay for. Elastomeric and viscoelastic properties cost more than mass alone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.