Dynamat single, double, or triple layer make a difference? And where to put it?

john.mulvehill
10+ year member

Hello,

I just purchased the dynamat bulk pack which has tons of dynamat in it. I have heard mixed things about using multiple layers. The guy at the audio shop said that it is a waste to put more than 1 layer. Is this true? I have enough for 2 or 3 layers in the trunk. I am using it for the following setup: JL 12w7 (1,000 watt RMS) in a ported box with a JL 1000/1 v2 slash amp.

Should I just dynamat the trunk? If so, how many layers? Should I dynamat other parts of the car?

I also am trying to decide if I need a capacitor or if that is unnecessary. Oh and I drive a 2008 G8 GT.

Thanks!!

John

Hello,
I just purchased the dynamat bulk pack which has tons of dynamat in it. I have heard mixed things about using multiple layers. The guy at the audio shop said that it is a waste to put more than 1 layer. Is this true? I have enough for 2 or 3 layers in the trunk. I am using it for the following setup: JL 12w7 (1,000 watt RMS) in a ported box with a JL 1000/1 v2 slash amp.

Should I just dynamat the trunk? If so, how many layers? Should I dynamat other parts of the car?

I also am trying to decide if I need a capacitor or if that is unnecessary. Oh and I drive a 2008 G8 GT.

Thanks!!

John
Wow, a local shop with a clue, and a conscience? Hard to believe!

Multiple layers (or even one layer with full coverage) is not exactly useless, but you have to consider the law of diminishing returns. Each successive layer helps less and less, yet still costs the same amount. So clearly, there is a point in which the improvement does not justify the money spent (and effort/time put in). When this kicks in depends on many things, such as your personal goals, vehicle used, system being installed, personal budget, etc. Its impossible for us to simply give a yes or no answer.

Well I bought the dynamat extreme bulk pack that can do one car like twice over. So if I have all the dynamat to use up, would it be worth triple layering the trunk or would it provide no extra benefit than a single layer?

Where are the other best spots to put dynamat besides the trunk when putting in a heavy duty sub like the JL 12w7.

Thanks!

The Xtreme bulk pack can't do a full vehicle once, let alone twice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Single layer. If you only bought 36 sq feet, it's not enough for the entire car if you were planning on 100% coverage - this is usually good for the trunk and a pair of doors, depending on how much coverage you use. You could get quite a bit out of it if you stick to around 25-30% coverage, which is what many people work with. A lot of people consider 25% the point at which you get the best coverage/performance ratio. Read through this website: Sound Deadener Showdown

Ignore buying a capacitor. If you have dimming issues, address it in a step wise fashion - big three, followed by upgrading to the biggest AGM battery that will fit in your stock location, followed by a second battery, then finally a bigger alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.