Dust cap flew off!

Participant count
  • Participant list
So my dust cap on my planet audio z15 flew off. It is a very old sub and the glue was dry rotted and gave out. It has a carbon fiber woven cone and a regular paper dust cap. I was wondering what kind of glue I can buy at my local Home Depot to fix it. Also how can I remove the old glue? Thanks

Cyanoacrylate solvent, acetone, or Goof Off should help remove the leftover glue, but simply scraping/sanding it off would work just as well, if not better because a rough edge provides better adhesion when you re glue it.

I've used expanding gorilla glue (overkill) and cyanoacrylate glue (super glue, Krazy glue, etc.) to good effect. Amazing Goop would work well, too. Amazing Goop is great for other parts of a sub, but since the dust cap is one of the few locations you don't need flexibility it doesn't really matter, it just needs to hold.

Well I have some DuPont residential & commercial adhesive spray.think that is safe to use? Also remember I have a carbon fiber cone I don't think I can sand it without damaging it

One of my Soundstream X3 18" Subs had the dust cap flown off first bass note and it was brand new from Soundstream and it had very small drops of ca glue on em when i inspect it. CA Glue would be best with the Activator which will make it dry in seconds but its more espensive then the regular supre glue and other products that you could get at Home Depot. The actual CA glue and activator can be bought at Craft Or hobby stores thats the only place i can get em in Hawaii. The other glues will work fine but i would let it cure overnight depending on what glue you use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.