COMPLETED Dual 1.4 ohm 3" 4 layer copper coils to fit '05 "small gap" Shocker Sig

Status
Not open for further replies.

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Price
$30
Pretty sure Shocker Mike is gone so I had a batch of these coils made to spec by Precision Econowind. Dual 1.4 ohm copper (I will have D2.8 copper sometime in December). This is the most recent revision with the black coating and slightly thicker former. I've used these with the previous version of this coil and they are close enough specs to run together with no ill effects.

Fits small gap Sig and neo-Sig. They also do fairly well in TC9 motor though they're a bit heavier than any of the OEM TC9 stuff I've seen.

30$ each + shipping. Spread the word if you see anyone asking about coils for these subs. AFAIK there's nothing else on the market that fits and these are the OEM specs Mike and I came up with about 8 or 9 years ago so they'll match anything up to that old.

EDIT**************************************

Got D2.8 copper coils last week, those were a little more money so 31$ a pop for those.

Was Photo Included
  1. Yes
Last edited:
Sry i wasnt trying hack up your thread,but let me ask this,does it matter how much clearance your vc has between top plate and voicecoil.say ya had .025 thousandths clearance too much.

The exact dimensions of the coil and the exact dimensions of the gap are pretty much going to determine how the sub performs. They're the dominant factor especially on modern high power woofers with huge motors.

If you have a very wide gap you should try to fill it as best you can with coil generally, as that's what it'll be designed for, but chunkier coils come with more mass which works against you for efficiency and may lower Fs a little. Also consider you want a little bit of wiggle room in there in case it's not perfectly aligned and the coil will expand on the ID and OD when you get it hot so you must leave a bit of room to account for that.

For reference, the pole in the 05 Sig motor (and a few other TC subs) is 3.000" the .018 difference between that and the ID of the coil is just barely the width of 2 playing cards and it is very easy to misalign those and wind up with rubbing issues. Most manufacturers give you a bit more wiggle room than that because they'll be a bit more abuse tolerant over the long haul and you allow for often third-world manufacturing and QC.

If you can't figure out the specs of the OEM coil you'll have to just use the process of trial and error to see how different coils that physically fit in there will perform. Take notes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...