Double-DIN or Single-DIN w/Flip Out LCD?

Those who have ACTUALLY USED both DD and SD, which would you choose in your vehicle?

• Double-DIN LCD DVD/CD receiver

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Single-DIN flipout LCD DVD/CD receiver

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

599GTB
10+ year member

US
I'm looking for people that have tried both: Double-DIN LCD CD/DVD or Single-DIN CD/DVD head-unit?

I have room in the dash to install either configuration. For those who have actually tried both, which would you choose? The 2x DIN or 1x DIN w/Flipout? I'm comparing the Alpine W200 vs. D310/100 and don't know which to choose. I like the W200 but there's no volume knob and it's a first year product. From a standpoint based on purely ergonomic, design, and tactile feel, what would you guys choose -- a flat DD unit or the lasting design of a flip out single DIN H/U?

I haven't actually had both in my vehicle, but I have been in friends' vehicles with each. I prefer the double din units big time. To me, a flipout looks like an add-on (of course, it is), whereas the flush mount screens look factory, like they belong. It's so much cleaner. The motorized flipouts remind me of something out of a spaceship or an old Transformer. The non-motorized units just take more effort and are seemingly cheap because of the lack of automation. Also, depending on install and vehicle, the flip-outs can block the center AC vents. That's not an option for me here in Texas.

That said, the Alpine flip-out units have more built-in features than the W200. My amps don't have built-in crossovers, but my old 9811 does, so I've been fine. Now that I have upgraded to the W200, I needed to add something to at least crossover ability. I also wanted the ability to setup a true 5.1 system. Alpine has that covered with the H701. It does everything I need and SO much more.

But I do know people that prefer the flip-outs. One advantage is security. I can't close mine up or pop the face off and take it with me. Even for some double-din people, they might want to have something else installed in there with the head unit, like a line driver or one of those new din-sized Alpine center channel speakers.

You should study your install options, find a shop that has both on display side by side, and go with what you like best.

i like how clean DD units look v. the single din. but jluv has a point on security, i guess your best bet is hope the thieves think your DD is just the factory DD unit.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'm gonna go with a W200 (with the 701 processor) for the clean look of it. Perhaps I'll fabricate a factory radio cover just to throw off the thieves.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'm gonna go with a W200 (with the 701 processor) for the clean look of it. Perhaps I'll fabricate a factory radio cover just to throw off the thieves.
I'm in the process of making a cover for mine right now. I'll post pics when I get it done.

i personally am i fan of the double din units. I have the double din avic-z1 in my 2006 civic si right now and it looks very nice. I had a single din Pioneer AVH-P6400cd with farenheit dvd player in my 2002 civic EX which got broken into in december:crying:. After about a year the flip up in my old civic stopped going down all the way. the only way to get it down was to push it a little to get it past the spot where it would get stuck. DOUBLE DIN IS THE WAY TO GO!!!

Perhaps I'll fabricate a factory radio cover just to throw off the thieves.
Here it is with the cover.

http://i6.tinypic.com/11qqm8m.jpg

I used some rubber foam weather stripping on the outer sides on the back of the cover itself. That slides into the gaps on the sides just enough to hold it in place. My windows are too dark to see in anyway, but it's more for slobber protection when I leave my dogs in the truck while I run into a store or something.

cover looks good
is it motorized?

The cover? No. That would be sick, but I'm nowhere near that good, lol. If I thought it could be done for less than a fortune without tearing up my dash, I'd do it.

Tanks for the compliment.

I've had a flip out and I didnt like it too much. If your car is lowered, the screen likes to bounce and sometimes I'd look at it like it was going to break off. I'd perfer a 2DIN setup....

double din all the way. it looks factory if you choose the right unit, and also it has more of a solid feel to it. i feel like i was going to break the eclipse avn7000. the 6600 is an awesome unit, and if you have an ipod, its definitly the one to get.

I really like the way the DD look like bri said it looks factory if you choose the right unit. I was thinking of going with a DD anyone heard anything on the JVC Kwavx-706 ??

I really like the way the DD look like bri said it looks factory if you choose the right unit. I was thinking of going with a DD anyone heard anything on the JVC Kwavx-706 ??
in all honesty i would go to an eclipse dealer and pick up a avn5435 if they still had it. 3 year warrenty and it is pretty much the same as the 6600

Pioneer AVIC Z1>>>any eclipse DD out....

single din flip outs are played and they just dont look as good as DD's do

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...