Door speakers are burning!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

blk97ex

I replace my 4 door speakers on my 1997 Ford Explorer with Kenwood - 6" x 8" 3-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones Model: KFC-C6893PS Handles up to 240 watts peak power (80 watts RMS).

And using a Alpine - 200W Class A/B Bridgeable 4/3/2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier w/ Adjustable Crossover Model: MRP-F300 4-, 3- and 2-channel design connected to a Kenwood KDC-MP828 head unit. I am running them low pass 4 channel setup. The speakers sound pretty good but when I turn them up and the song has alot of bass...... I can smell the speakers burning (they are not blown YET!)

I turn them down and after a little bit the smell goes away and the speakers sound fine.

I was reading and I heard something about some kind of liquid that burning off the voice coil from the manufacturing process... But i'm not sure this is the case because I smell it months later.

I hooked them up high pass and had the same problem.

Should I build a pod for the rear of the 6X8s to make the speakers more solid so they dont bounce so much? I'm lost and if I can get a few ideas to solve this problem..... that would be great!!

Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.