Door speaker upgrade. Amp necessary?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bdozers

Hi guys,

Have a C300 2011 (w204). When I bought it I skimped out and didnt get the HK upgrade. I now want to upgrade the speakers and there's an entire thread vouching for infinity kappas since they can be driven by the stock headunit that puts out about 100watts. Not sure I want to spend this much though (would be close to $300) since I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep the car. I've seen a few speakers that have decent reviews for fairly cheap but I'm not sure if I would need an amp to properly drive them which would defeat the purpose of getting cheaper units in the first place. If anyone can suggest some decent speakers that can be powered with a 100w headunit that would be great. I list to most genres but mainly EDM.

first thing to think about is that 99% of head units dont actually put out 100 watts per channel. Secondly, infinity kappas arent known for being terribly efficient either (at least in the past). When i sold them at Ultimate Electronics back in the day, i tried talking people into amps on them all the time and more often times than not, if no amp was purchased (or didnt have one that they planned on using on the kappas) theyd inexorably be back wanting it louder. My main point is that youre not going to get enough power from a head unit to make it sound as good as it seems like youre looking for it to sound

Hi guys,
Have a C300 2011 (w204). When I bought it I skimped out and didnt get the HK upgrade. I now want to upgrade the speakers and there's an entire thread vouching for infinity kappas since they can be driven by the stock headunit that puts out about 100watts. Not sure I want to spend this much though (would be close to $300) since I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep the car. I've seen a few speakers that have decent reviews for fairly cheap but I'm not sure if I would need an amp to properly drive them which would defeat the purpose of getting cheaper units in the first place. If anyone can suggest some decent speakers that can be powered with a 100w headunit that would be great. I list to most genres but mainly EDM.
polk coax even rockfords have good reviews

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.