Door panels ---- 8's and tweeters

dbornotdb
10+ year member

Custom Fabricator
Basic 85 Monte Carlo door panel.

No pics of the rings and base down.

I can just tell you this.....1/4" hardboad the length of the door, rings raised up and angled. Stretched with polydex material and staple and CA glued in place.

Then resined.........

normal_smiley_door_pod_resined_1.JPG

normal_smiley_door_pods_resined_2.JPG

Do you think that it will hold in the mid over the long term? I glassed a ring to the back of a door panel and there was some controvery on whether it would stay for the long tern (opening/closing)

It's already down there but is there any type of product I could add over it to further strengthen it?

Do you think that it will hold in the mid over the long term? I glassed a ring to the back of a door panel and there was some controvery on whether it would stay for the long tern (opening/closing)
It's already down there but is there any type of product I could add over it to further strengthen it?

I don't use fiberglass on the panels themselves.

I had a wood base secured to the panel and the material stapled to that.

In places that I had to secure the material to the door and the staples wouldn't work, I use CA glue. It will not release when the fiberglass resin starts to cure like other glues will.

Now to directly answer your question, if you have a ring and you want to mount it to the door and mold that in, I would use a liquid plastic/urethane.

I use SEM 40507 1 minute set liquid plastic. It requires a specail applicator gun though.

Monday I should be using this to do two 7" drivers in a door next week. I'll take pics and make a thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.