don't jump your car off a bridge signat dig 1 monoblock amp dead

sideshowbob

uk
Hi guys , installed well, good wiring ,well secured amp but when i jumped my car a few feet off a hump back bridge the amp went quiet ! All lights are still on ,protection light off sub's work, input signal good, tested on other systems so what's happened ??

I love this amp please help

Hi guys , installed well, good wiring ,well secured amp but when i jumped my car a few feet off a hump back bridge the amp went quiet ! All lights are still on ,protection light off sub's work, input signal good, tested on other systems so what's happened ??I love this amp please help
Doh.. that's about as stupid as when I was putting the side trim back on next to my center console (where headunit was).. and these "knee pads" weren't fitting, I starting moderately banging on them to get them into place.. When I was done,.. derp.. my headunit magically didn't work.

What's the lesson learned? Electronics don't like G forces.. especially abrupt blows. Best guess is some component in the amp went awry with the force of the blow... Likely an easy fix for someone adept in working on PCB, traces, capacitors, and other electrical micro-architecture.. but for your average Joe,.. it's a paper weight.

If the amp is somewhat expensive,.. It'd be worth taking in for service somewhere.. ie: $1000 amp.. is worth $100 fix.. on the other hand a $200-$300 amp usually isn't. Is it still under warranty? It'd be covered, although you would have to ship it off to them,.. but still worth it , even if you replaced it in the meantime and sold the replacement when you got the amp back fixed, or vice versa,. just sold the fixed amp when you got it back from factory.

Thank you for your answer ,I feel the g force or impact was not as great as I may have described . non of my passengers had any injury or even pain , the amp would have endured far more stress in freight from factory . I was running a cap , could a cap voltage spike ?

Still, something may have broke loose inside. All it takes is the right solder joint to crack, and it is over. What kind of amp is it? And, have you tried to bypass the capacitor?

Thank you for your answer ,I feel the g force or impact was not as great as I may have described . non of my passengers had any injury or even pain , the amp would have endured far more stress in freight from factory . I was running a cap , could a cap voltage spike ?

Well it's certainly not definitive that the "G" forces caused something to go awry in the amp.. But, just given the circumstances the most logical thing is that the jump caused the amp to stop,.. then you have to think what would cause this? Only things that come to mind are wires,.. be it ground, power, remote, etc in the Amp or headunit coming loose,.. or the impact causing an electronic failure.

There are tons of stories of people with Pioneer headunits hitting potholes, or speed bumps (something that shouldn't cause an issue) and their headunits suddenly stopping,.. and being "dead".

It just happened to me with some light to moderate palm hits on some panels on the side of the console.. which the same forces would have been generated in the shipping process. It may be something to do with when the internals are "hot" and getting the jolt verses not. Then again, maybe your amp is just fine (hopefully).. and you just need to trace down the issue.

My first inclination at this point would be to pull the amp out of the car and to test it independently to eliminate any uncertainty.

Well it's certainly not definitive that the "G" forces caused something to go awry in the amp.. But, just given the circumstances the most logical thing is that the jump caused the amp to stop,.. then you have to think what would cause this? Only things that come to mind are wires,.. be it ground, power, remote, etc in the Amp or headunit coming loose,.. or the impact causing an electronic failure.
There are tons of stories of people with Pioneer headunits hitting potholes, or speed bumps (something that shouldn't cause an issue) and their headunits suddenly stopping,.. and being "dead".

It just happened to me with some light to moderate palm hits on some panels on the side of the console.. which the same forces would have been generated in the shipping process. It may be something to do with when the internals are "hot" and getting the jolt verses not. Then again, maybe your amp is just fine (hopefully).. and you just need to trace down the issue.

My first inclination at this point would be to pull the amp out of the car and to test it independently to eliminate any uncertainty.
Yeah I took it apart and put it on my test rig , still dead:'(

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.