Does it matter which Head Unit to get?

Participant count
  • Participant list

njknittle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
PA
Well i kinda know it matters, but i use to have an Alpine IDA-x200 until it started going ApeS*** on me and kept malfunctioning. Because i need music, i just went to BestBuy to get a HU, and i looked at the Alpine models and they all only had One set of Preouts, I need at least two. The only one i found that had more than one preout was a newer Sony Model , and it doesnt seem to be doing as good of a job as my alpine did. Is there really much of a difference when it comes to HU?

Yes. The head unit is the main signal source for your whole system. Think of it as a brain. Without it, nothing works. A crappy head unit can make a whole system ****, I see it every day.

Look for 4v out puts and some kind of 5+ band equalizer at least.

I'd say you'd notice a difference between Sony and Alpine, pending the rest of the setup. What Best Buy is this? i unfortunately work at one and I know even our store, which is quite small, has plenty of decks with more than one output. Not saying they are priced nicely at all, but they should have had something for you. I know most of the tags have incorrect info on them. I do know however, that you are correct in saying every Alpine they carry only has one set. Should be plenty of Pioneer and Kenwood options though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.