do you really need a panel remover tool?

If the car has a few years on it I find it more helpful to have some extra new panel clips on hand instead of the panel tool, older clips are brittle with or without the tool.

I use a flat head for door panel clips but I have more issues with the clips popping out of the backing they are attached to vs. breaking all together.

If you know where the clips are you don't need the tool, the tool just makes things easier. Also once you get the first clip loose, I generally just use my hands to pull on the door panel(be gentle). So the tool is kinda just to get you started.

Considering they are about 15$, doesn't hurt to have one.

Flat heads and pry bars can and will leave scratches/gouges in the plastic if not done right. Get the right tool for the right job. Why risk a $100 or better door panel for a $15 tool?

If the car has a few years on it I find it more helpful to have some extra new panel clips on hand instead of the panel tool, older clips are brittle with or without the tool.
+1. Just be gentle. If they break, oh well. A box of them is like $10 at any autopart store and if they are brittle enough to fall apart its probably a good idea to replace them anyways.

If you remove you panel frequently, then by all means buy the tool. But keep in mind regardless you are going to want some spare clips on hand.

I don't have any clips...
I threw mine out,and have screwed my panels down with torx type head screws to keep those jokers from easily pulling my door panels:santa: Got to work to get mine..even the speakers:patrioti:

For those who think a flat screwdriver is just as good as a panel remover, don't discount the mechanical advantage of having a blade on 2 sides of the clip. This is one advantage the panel remover has over a screwdriver. In my opinion anyone doing installs frequently needs an assortment of panel removal tools of a variety of shapes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.