Do Sub Foam Edge Replacements work?

Is it common for these things to go? I was thinking next time to get a grill so nothing in my trunk could touch it. I rarely have crap in there (like groceries or whatnot) but perhaps this is a common thing with age. If it really is just $60 every few years no biggie but just trying to understand. These 2 JLs are my only subwoofers Ive ever owned so not much to go off of

Thx

It may have been from some of the crap in the trunk but one day was listening and next it sounded funny. Looked in the trunk and one of them was messed up. Not realizing it was an easy fix, I unhooked and ran off one (after adjusting amp accordingly). 5 months went by and same thing. One day sounded funny. Guess it seperated completely from the foam. So thats where I am today.

It may have been from some of the crap in the trunk but one day was listening and next it sounded funny. Looked in the trunk and one of them was messed up. Not realizing it was an easy fix, I unhooked and ran off one (after adjusting amp accordingly). 5 months went by and same thing. One day sounded funny. Guess it seperated completely from the foam. So thats where I am today.
My foam separated on my old schools. Should last pretty good as long as u do the refoam right though and keep stuff off of em.

Foam deteriorates over time and UV light can speed up failure. Refoam kits work well (especially if they're proper size and stiffness). The trick is to make sure coil stays aligned when you do it. I'd pry off the dustcap when you do it so you can keep an eye on the coil's position in the gap as you go around it.

Edit: I take that back I missread.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Foam deteriorates over time and UV light can speed up failure. Refoam kits work well (especially if they're proper size and stiffness). The trick is to make sure coil stays aligned when you do it. I'd pry off the dustcap when you do it so you can keep an eye on the coil's position in the gap as you go around it.
don't do that with a w6, just make sure you don't pull it either way when you reglue. I've done it 4 times now on different speakers haven't had issues once.

Edit: I take that back I missread. 

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

don't do that with a w6, just make sure you don't pull it either way when you reglue. I've done it 4 times now on different speakers haven't had issues once.

I know I did a refoam in one of my home cabinets and misaligned the coil. Personally if I were to do it again I'd pull the dustcap, though it may not be necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.