Do I still need my wiring harness?

Participant count
  • Participant list

caraudionoob101

dc
So im doing a full sound system rewiring on my 2006 Toyota Tundra with JBL. I have my head unit install with the stock JBL speakers but didn't like the sound quality. So i rewiring the whole system. I have an Axxess TYTO-01 in my truck but since im doing a new system, is this necessary? Can i just use a regular harness and not connect the speaker wires? I know that the plugs in all Toyotas are the same.

are you asking if you can wire between the factory speakers and the head unit? if the stock JBL system has separate amp channels for woofers, mids, and highs then you'll need to add crossovers. pull the factory speakers to verify if they have onboard crossovers (capacitors).

the Axxess TYTO-01 allows you to feed the stock amp a signal from the aftermarket HU's RCA outputs. if you want to power the speakers directly from the head unit, you won't likely see any improvement in sound quality. aftermarket head units have terrible amplifiers.

i've had success re-using factory speakers when installing aftermarket amplifiers for them. it's a lot of wiring and requires careful consideration of crossovers, but if you eventually upgrade speakers you'll need the amplifiers anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.