Do I really NEED more juice.

Participant count
  • Participant list

BenW
10+ year member

TN
I probably already can answer this but here goes. I am interested in a sound quality setup. Boomin' bass in your face can hang out in that other guy's car.

I am in process to design my new car stereo system and this is what I have for speakers:

Front stage:

ID CD-2 Comp Mini Horns --RMS Power handling 100watts @ 8 ohms

ID IDQ52 Midbass, soon to be CX62 -- RMS Power Handling 150watts @ 2 ohms

Sub:

ID IDQ 10 DVC 4 ohm --RMS Power Handling 250watts @ 2 ohms

Alright, to power all this crap I, right now, have a 4ch amp 4x50 @ 4ohms.

What I was considering was 2 channels of that amp go to horns for 25watts@8ohms and the other two channels going to the mids at 100 watts@ 2 ohms

Then I just need to buy a 2x100@4ohm amp to power sub at 200 watts.

My question is this. Do I need more. Like

a dedicated 200x2@4 ohms for the Horns.

another dedicated 100x2@4ohms (200@2ohm) for the mids

and maybe another dedicated 200x2@4ohms for the sub?

Im freaking running out of space!!!

or do i look for a 200x4@4ohms (which would probably fill the trunk on my station wagon!!) for the horns and sub and a 100x2@4ohms for the mids.

This is too much thinking ****it!!!!

Those horns are very efficient and don't need much power at all. 25W should get them loud enought to make your ears bleed. 100W to the mids is plenty as well. If all you want is SQ you are pretty squared away and honestly, it should get plenty loud, too.

you should be fine with those amps but i would use an active crossover with those horns. they sound sweet when set up right, i heard them with usd mids and id 15s in a aperiodic enclosure using tube drivers amps (800 watts total) and usd xover and dual 31 band eqs. this set-up sounded amazing until the guy made it better by hand building horns to match the contours of his car.

good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.