Do I Really need a CAP ???

Rookie_80
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Houston,tx
Vehicle: 1996 Mustang

Previous System: Kicker L5 powere by Rockford Fosgate 400.2 2 channel amp.

New System (to be installed) :

-- 2 Front and 2 Rear Pioneer TS-A6871R speakers powered by Sony 4/3 channel 600w amp.

-- Sub amp would be Kicker ZX 750.1 Mono amp - gives 750-900W RMS @ 2 ohms

-- Subs (Undecided): either 1 or 2 Eclipse 88120DVC 12 Alums- rated 500RMS each

or Eclipse SW9122

or Kicker 12 L7

or Rockford T2

Now for all this do i really need a cap or i can go without one?

Friend told me i can go without a cap as long as my amp doesn't eat 1000w RMS

Also any suggestion which sub to go with?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Only time you need a cap is to keep your head warm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Thx guys for the reply.
Jim J if i don need one how's my friend wrong?
1st of all there is no magic number at which point electrical upgrades are needed. It varies with the make/model of vehicle, what engine it has and what alternator it has. Also what kind of battery is under the hood.

2nd of all capacitors have a use, but its not as the band aid that stereo companies and shops make it out to be. A capacitor leads in voltage but lags in current. Basically bottlenecking what power goes into an amplifier, by successfully doing that it limits the power you amplifier can put out. By limiting how much power your amplifier can make it successfully makes your purchase of a larger amp useless.

Capacitors were designed as a marketing ploy for shops to make money. A battery is usually cheaper, and much much more effective

Got it Jim J.

Keep my head warm? Lilmaniac, what's that mean?

i chose my nick for a purpose i really dont know jack about all this but i do enjoy some good bass.

The thread was posted for the simple reason: when i was heating up the car today - i saw my lights dimming . Currently im just using 400.2 Fosgate amp.

i think they pretty much said i don need one.

and if i don need one -- theres no need to spen $150 on that optima yellow battery.

guess ill have to try that big 3 thing--seems to be cheaper.

Car is 96 Mustang Coupe.

Battery, like 1 year old. not sure the kind but i remeber i got it from O'Reilly auto parts for like 70-80 bucks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.