Is it just a matter of more batteries?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Seattle206
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
seattle
I see cars on here with 250amp alts running 8kW's+ with a bank of 10 batteries or somethin similar. i have a 250amp alt with 1 deep cycle in the back. is the only difference in running that much power the amount of batteries? reason i ask is because i frequently see when people want to add a second battery to a stock elec a lot of times people say no because it will burn up the alt. how then can 1 250amp alt power so many batteries when 1 130amp alt would struggle to charge 2 batteries?

In my opinion, unless you're running a hell of a lot of power at high volumes constantly, a 130 amp alternator should be fine to charge 2 batteries. Hell, my little stock alternator charges my front battery and second battery just fine, and I run about 3kw daily.

cool ok...but with a big alt is the amount of power i can run proportional to the amount of battery power i have?

umm..thats ..unfortunate? my 2008 has been goin fairly good..if it helps i can invite u to my party on friday...

anniku shut the hell up..you had to ask questions before also? Seattle,I'm guessing it will be fine my buddy has a camry and we were gonna put 2 battery's in their but He decided against it
thanks but that doesnt answer my question at all....

How big of alt your car have? How many (and what type batteries) you have? And whats your system?

That'll help if you want to know if you need more batteries or not

my question isnt whether or not i need more batteries right now.

i have 250amp alt. deep cycle up front and in back.

my question is....im assuming my limit is around 3500rms ish..right now. how would i have an electrical that can support 4000+ while keeping a 250amp alt. is it just adding batteries? because i see vans with 1 250amp alt charging a bank of say 15 powermaster batteries running 8kw+.

You shouldn't have a problem with 4000rms TBH.

Not really relevant, but I was running 2000rms off of a stock battery, and stock alt (grand am) for a little over a month with no issues. I don't see how two deep cycles and a 250a HO alt won't handle it.

If it doesn't though, I'd go and add an extra battery, if that doesn't help your probably looking at dual alt's then.

Who's van are you referring to btw? Hell, Steve M's tahoe has two alts for the 4 btl's...

Edit:

Shouldn't really say I was running a "stock" battery, but its not a deep cycle

doesnt steve have 4 alts now? maybe that was an old thread..

well on a sidenote...now i need a sub that can handle 3500rms...anyone got one for me?>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.