Do I need a HO alt and/or a second battery?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm looking to upgrade my system to about 1900watts rms. 1500 to the subs and 400 to the speakers from two amps. My stock alt is 105amps. I have the big three done already with a Kinetik 1800 battery up front. I only run 900rms at the moment but voltage isn't a issue at this time.

1.Which comes first the 2nd battery or the HO alt?

2.Will I need either or should I just install and watch voltage?

I'm looking to upgrade my system to about 1900watts rms. 1500 to the subs and 400 to the speakers from two amps. My stock alt is 105amps. I have the big three done already with a Kinetik 1800 battery up front. I only run 900rms at the moment but voltage isn't a issue at this time.
1.Which comes first the 2nd battery or the HO alt?

2.Will I need either or should I just install and watch voltage?
Watch voltage mainly. What equipment are you running?

I ran about 2200 rms for a good while with 2 big agm batts and never got under low to high 12's and I also had a 105amp stock alt. So if you wanted to go that route you would probably be able to, but if I were you, had the money, and plan on keeping the car for a while I would just go ahead and grab the alt cause if you are like the rest of us you will want more in 4 to 6 months

I ran about 2200 rms for a good while with 2 big agm batts and never got under low to high 12's and I also had a 105amp stock alt. So if you wanted to go that route you would probably be able to, but if I were you, had the money, and plan on keeping the car for a while I would just go ahead and grab the alt cause if you are like the rest of us you will want more in 4 to 6 months
Same here, I'm running an MTX1501D at 1ohm on 2 WalMart batteries in a Geo Metro which has about 45AMP alternator. I really don't play it blasting for more than a minute or two at a time and it does fine. The extra battery brings a lot of the amperage to the rear of the vehicle which is great but ultimately your true source of power is from the alternator. Still though, just bringing the amperage back there makes a big difference, try starting your car over a 4 ga wire from the battery in the trunk, doesn't work well (found this out when my front battery's ground was dirty) which just proves how much you gain by having a battery close by.

Unfortunately I don't know how much bigger I could go (realistically speaking). I have a GMC Sierra extended cab and I don't want to lose the back seat. It took a long time with fiberglass just to get two FI SSD 12's under the seat. In the front I have 6.5 CDT comps but the rear is only 4x6" and I'm not really interested in chopping my interior. So this may be it for me SPL wise. SQ the hunt will never end I'm sure.

Unless you play it at grandma volume all the time - Your alt isn't going to last long. It's that simple -- one battery or 5. A few months maybe, possibly weeks.

The extra batteries are only involved AFTER the alternator is already maxed out.

I've been running ~1500w for over 10 yrs now in 4 different cars.

The 110A alt in the 1st car held up the longest. I never had to replace it over 3 yrs or so. 110A alt in the 2nd car had to be replaced once over 3-4 yrs. 130A alt in the 3rd car got replaced twice in 3 yrs. Current car I've had for 8 mo has 160A alt which hasn't been replaced yet and shows no sign of weakness -- BARELY any dimming at full volume, all stock wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.