DIY MTX Terminator sub lasts a week then quits...

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I recently purchased a subwoofer for my friend. I bought him a 12" 2Ohm 200Watt MTX Terminator Sub. I hooked it up to an MTX TN-250Watt Amp and his new JVC deck. I hooked it all up and it worked for a week. Then today my friend tells me it stopped working. He told me that he was knocking it hard for a pretty long time (1hour 20mins) and that the Amp clipped. But even after he waited 2+hours the sub wouldn't come back on. I know the problem resides in the subwoofer because I hooked up my subs to his Amp and it worked fine. I looked up what may be the problem and I was told to re-solder the connections inside the box. So I've done that but it still does not work...I don't know what else to do! The sub feels kind of stiff and it almost feels like I'm unsticking it every time I push it down. I bought a Multi-Meter but I don't know what to do with it.

The tinsel leads are fine, the wiring is soldered and not going anywhere, and the actual sub itself looks just like it did when I pulled it out of the box. I read somewhere that it may be due to the heat it produced, and that something may have melted and then cooled and now the sub is stuck. Is this true and if so can't I just take a heat gun to it? I really would like to salvage this sub. Not just for the money but for the time and the point as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.