distortion - brand new speakers!

mickyd32
10+ year member

Canada
today I went and replaced my rear speakers because the old ones had a large amount of distortion and I thought they were shot. I went and bought a new set of Alpine Type S 6x9's to replace them. I installed them and still get close to the same amount of distortion. What could be the causes of this. The car is a 95 Grand Prix GTP and it has built in amp in the car, is it possibly something to do with them?

Yeah, do what pete said.

Your aftermarket head unit is driving too much voltage into your stock amplifier.

so the distortion is coming from your stock amp and not your speakers.

Just bypass that by running new speaker wire to your speakers.

While bypassing your stock amp, and hooking speakers directly to your radio will work, aftermarket HU's generally only put out about 10-20watts RMS, so you still will get some distortion at higher volumes. Your best bet is to just get an el-cheapo aftermarket amp for $50-100 to get the results you want. I had an American Pro 600watt($75/fleamarket) pushing my Bostons for a couple years, and it didnt sound too bad at all.

I by passed the stock amps, played with the settings on the deck and it seems to sound alot better. Also, does anyone know how to set up an alpine MRD-M500? Just bought one and I have no idea how to set it. Is there a trick to it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.