Different ways to finish subwoofer boxes?

I'd actually confidently say that's not enough steps. It can take far longer to finish the enclosure than to build it if you want to do it properly with only having OTC materials.
I've personally never had to go through that many steps to finish one. May just be me though.

It is alot of work but I didn't wet sand or buff this box
console1.jpg
looks like a center console on steroids. very nice.

I've personally never had to go through that many steps to finish one. May just be me though.
I do home audio first and foremost, and I don't know anyone who can get a perfect piano black finish with that few steps. However, painting MDF to a flawless finish is different than fiberglass because FG is used as a sealant anyway, so it probably isn't as difficult to get all the edges to line up perfectly since there aren't any edges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Beutiful work though, it looks excellent.

I do home audio first and foremost, and I don't know anyone who can get a perfect piano black finish with that few steps. However, painting MDF to a flawless finish is different than fiberglass because FG is used as a sealant anyway, so it probably isn't as difficult to get all the edges to line up perfectly since there aren't any edges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Beutiful work though, it looks excellent.
Flush trim router bits work well to line up edges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Personally I don't put paint directly to mdf anyway. I always like to put duraglass on it for a strong foundation to work on, block it down, bondo, block that down, prime, and paint. MDF isn't completely flat to start with.

I appreciate the compliments!

Flush trim router bits work well to line up edges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Personally I don't put paint directly to mdf anyway. I always like to put duraglass on it for a strong foundation to work on, block it down, bondo, block that down, prime, and paint. MDF isn't completely flat to start with.
I appreciate the compliments!
Flushtrim bits do indeed work well, but it's still not enough to make a flawless edge. I know a guy who spent a month just sanding and sealing his 2.5 way towers to just get them ready for primer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

And respect is given where respect is due. How do you protect the finish? I find that a nice synthetic sealant (carnauba doesn't last long enough for me) such as Meguiar's NXT or Meguiar's #21 topped with a good 'nuba wax gets the job done right.

Flushtrim bits do indeed work well, but it's still not enough to make a flawless edge. I know a guy who spent a month just sanding and sealing his 2.5 way towers to just get them ready for primer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
And respect is given where respect is due. How do you protect the finish? I find that a nice synthetic sealant (carnauba doesn't last long enough for me) such as Meguiar's NXT or Meguiar's #21 topped with a good 'nuba wax gets the job done right.
Yeah I really like Meguiars NXT. Goes on easy, buffs off easy, and lasts for a good while. It's pretty much the only thing I use on my vehilces now. There are some other quality waxes out there by 3M that are really good as well. I just hate to spend $40 for a 16 oz bottle of wax LOL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.