Double baffle, or internal bracing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

geowick07
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I am going to be building a 4 cf. box @ 36 hz. will be running two alpine type-r's, 1800w rms @ 1 ohm. should i use a double baffle, or just brace internally? and if i should use a double baffle, how would i go about adjusting the dimensions of all my pieces to keep the CF and the tuning right?

brace externally. think 2x4.

less turbulence in the box.

more deeebeeeeeeeees //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

most showcar installs are ugly as hell underneath the cosmetic panels...

solution: fiberglass or MDF cosmetic trim in front of box.

lol... in all seriousness though, for your average daily driver, i'd go with wooden dowels inside the box and a double baffle.

edit: i think external bracing is only good for tenths on the mic anyways...

and the answer is....

no.

the dowels have the same effect as slightly reducing the internal volume of the box (because that IS what you're doing), so on ported boxes it'll raise tuning slightly, and on sealed boxes it'll raise Q slightly (i think lol), UNLESS you compensated for the additional airspace the dowels take up when you designed the box.

and the answer is....
no.

the dowels have the same effect as slightly reducing the internal volume of the box (because that IS what you're doing), so on ported boxes it'll raise tuning slightly, and on sealed boxes it'll raise Q slightly (i think lol), UNLESS you compensated for the additional airspace the dowels take up when you designed the box.
ill add to this.

when he said it will raise the tuning slightly, he doesnt mean by a couple HZ. lets take a 3 cubic foot box @ 33 hz with 50.27 square inches of port.for example, that is braced with 1 1/2 inch dowels. 3 of them from top to bottom, and 2 from side to side. top to bottom internal is 15 inches (for the sake of arguement) and from side to side is 29 inches. all you hjave to do is add the total length, which is this case is 103 inches, and will equal out to 182.31 cubic inches. that takes the volume down to 2.90 cubes and with the same port length, the tuning will be raised by .56 HZ.

Hardly noticable imo

-Robin.

double baffling the enclosure weights down the car way to much for what it is.

i sugest internal bracing, dowls will work fine, or run a couple of scrap pieces of 3/4" mdf by 1 1/2" wide by the length of the wall, every 12" or so and your enclosure will be solid. kind of like this.

people for some reason dont believe in that hec...

I do tho
true true. but hearing is beliving and i have done it plenty and heard the diffrence so thats how i build them. lol

i have tested and tryed diffrent technics. and for me this works just fine. im just leting them know about the other posibilities. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.