differance in mid range drivers and regular speakers?!?!?!?

mjcotton7

NH
Hello,

Thanks for looking...

Like the title says what are the differences in mid range drivers and regular speakers?

I am looking redoing the 6.5in speakers in my door to a mid range driver, I have three 3.5in speakers in the front dash.

Anything you have info wise will be great.

Matt

By regular speaker you mean full range? The human ear is supposed to hear 20-20khz. Sub woofers are 20ish-100hz.mid bass 80-250hz. Mid range 100-4khz. Tweeters3500-20khz.full range can play all.they may not shine in any one area or have crisp highs or powerful lows but can make it happen. These are very general numbers. Different speakers have varied windows of operate. Some tweets only go down to 5k while another can go as low 2khz.

3 way component sets use a mid bass, mid range, and tweeter. A two way is going either sacrafice some low ennd punch by using a mid range to meet the tweeter or some upper end clarity by pushing a mid bass to play high. When piecing together a component set you really need to watch the frequency range of your speakers because you dont want to have a gap in your music or try to make speaker play something it can't.

If you don't want to mount a bunch of speakers, buy some decent coaxial ones. If you want to fine tune the sound stage, component sets are best. Either are better than general speakers that try to play all frequencies at the same time.

Sam. I have Alpine Type S for everything. Three 3.5in in the front dash, 6.5in in the front doors and 6x9 in the rear deck

I have an jenson head unit. Forget the model number. Single din flip out screen with hd radio. Two Re Audio SEXv2 12d4 subs in a sealed box with a hifonics zrx 1500.1 amp. No amp to the speakers. Just run off the head unit

I have an jenson head unit. Forget the model number. Single din flip out screen with hd radio. Two Re Audio SEXv2 12d4 subs in a sealed box with a hifonics zrx 1500.1 amp. No amp to the speakers. Just run off the head unit
To anwer your question, a midrange speaker plays the upper registers of bass through much of the vocal frequencies. By "regular speaker" I assume you mean a coaxial. Those have a tweeter to continue playing up to the upper limits of human hearing.

Since you said you have Alpine Type S speakers, and given the other information you shared, you probably have coaxials in the doors, in the dash, and certainly in the back. If you changed the door speakers to midrange woofers it might sound better, as you wouldn't have so much treble coming from everywhere. However, you have too much running off the head unit to really get some clarity from all these speakers.

would it be smart to run an amp to the 6.5's and the 6x9's and run the 3.5's off the deck?
yes that would be a good idea. Not sure how you can stand the amount of treble thats inside your car though I have had those type S speakers before and in head units without auto eq or time alignment they were borderline harsh for me. They did get loud on very little power though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.