Did i downgrade my sub/amp system?

:thumbcool:

Everyone likes an upgrade.

Just curious on the issue with the 900.

You said you have a 4 ohm kicker.  The VR's are all DVC's I think so you're only 450 vs 550 on power assuming you're wired for 2.  There's nothing there that would make a lot of difference.

I still think there's more to the story.  Either shop shenanigans or a technical problem with the amp.

Whatever -- glad it's working.
Interesting. So let me ask this. I think i still need some clarification regarding ohms. 

If you have a 4ohm sub at say 400w RMS @ 4 ohm

and an amp that is 250w RMS @ 4 ohm. Doesnt that mean it would only power half of what the sub ca do. Versus say an amp that is 550w @ 2ohm. I guess i jus don’t have a clearly idea at matching RMS from a sub to the RMS from an amp whether it being 4ohm vs 2ohm. 

If you have a 4ohm sub at say 400w RMS @ 4 ohm

and an amp that is 250w RMS @ 4 ohm. Doesnt that mean it would only power half of what the sub ca do. Versus say an amp that is 550w @ 2ohm. I guess i jus don’t have a clearly idea at matching RMS from a sub to the RMS from an amp whether it being 4ohm vs 2ohm. 
Well, yeah, but that's not the situation you have.

Your sub has dual voice coils, each is 4 ohms.  So when it's connected to an amp the coils are either wired in series for 8 ohms (not very common) or parallel for 2 ohms.  So in your case the amps would both be operating at 2 ohms.  550w for the 2200m and 450w for the 900m.

And since the cvr is already getting adequate power at 450 there would be little to gain at 550.

Well, yeah, but that's not the situation you have.

Your sub has dual voice coils, each is 4 ohms.  So when it's connected to an amp the coils are either wired in series for 8 ohms (not very common) or parallel for 2 ohms.  So in your case the amps would both be operating at 2 ohms.  550w for the 2200m and 450w for the 900m.

And since the cvr is already getting adequate power at 450 there would be little to gain at 550.
Ahhhh I see. That is very strange then. When i had the 900m amp and the bass knob set to half where i usally have it, it was almost as if i didn’t have a sub. When i switched the amp to the 2200m and had the bass knob set at the same level it was like i had 2 12s and was instantly louder lol. So not sure what changed so much But the output increased tremendously. 

Avionixx makes really good amps... at least they did back in the day. Were popular on sounddomain forum back in early 2000s... I powered my 2 IDmax 10s off a Avionixx AXT 1200.2 (think that was the model) back in 2006. But anyway def not a flea market amp...unless they've gone the way of a lot of other solid companies over the years and destroyed their name by using cheap parts for profits... But I can say they were once upon a time a very solid company...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.