Did i downgrade my sub/amp system?

Waltabeast

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi guys hopefully the more knowledgeably can help me out. I recently switched vehicles and transferred my subs to my new car. I could only fit 1 12. Keep in mind my amp was 8+ years old and subs were 4 years old. In my new car the one 12 kept going out so i decided to buy a new 12inch sub and amp. I’ve been going to the same shop for awhile so i trusted the guy. He told me this setup would hit harder. But i noticed my bass knob is turned to the max to get similar to my old system which i kept at half. Did i downgrade or upgrade? Here are the details of my two set ups. 

Old set up

One 12 inch Kenwood excelon i think 400rms. With kenwood amp KAC-8105D. (Not sure of specs, it’s older)

New setup

One 12 inch Kicker Comp VR 150-400w RMS (i think)

Avionix 900m Amp  

Pictures of new vs old.

Where did i go wrong? Thanks ahead of time guys.

97EB030F-0821-4CB8-84F3-AB2366838566.jpeg

F80EB90F-B194-49DA-887A-C61D616A4406.jpeg

5E5EB06B-E548-43A0-AACC-7D180F0907DD.jpeg

108B61A4-F09E-4911-9E0B-7DF52AEDE86E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
new car, different acoustics, different SPL potential.  You didnt even mention how the amp was getting signal either, whether you use a dedicated sub out RCA vs an LOC tapped off speakers.  You also didnt mention anything about ohm loads or electrical stats or enclosure specs.  Literally everything that factors into how loud your setup hits, you left out.

new car, different acoustics, different SPL potential.  You didnt even mention how the amp was getting signal either, whether you use a dedicated sub out RCA vs an LOC tapped off speakers.  You also didnt mention anything about ohm loads or electrical stats or enclosure specs.  Literally everything that factors into how loud your setup hits, you left out.
Damn. Only my installer would be able to answer that. So I’m not too sure. All i know is when i had the one kenwood with the kenwood amp in my new car I feel it hit harder than what i just got installed today (the kicker and avionix amp). The wiring was left the same for both systems. 

Edit: Googling what you mentioned i believe i have a LOC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Guess that’ll be the last time i go there. What amp would you guys recommend i get? Or is the subs just as bad? Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

take back the system, demand a refund or something else saying this setup is not what the dealer promised and have them warranty their work and claims.
I’m thinking of seeing if i can return the amp and I’ll buy a new one and have it installed at this other reputable shop not too far away. You think i should return the subwoofer too? 

I’m thinking of seeing if i can return the amp and I’ll buy a new one and have it installed at this other reputable shop not too far away. You think i should return the subwoofer too? 
return everything. Do research, buy your own sh*t and do your own install to avoid getting fked in the *ss by these shops selling you garbage.

So no ones heard of Avionixx amps? I just called this very reputable shop and they said they sold them too lol. I would do my own install but i don’t wanna risk ruining some electrical **** in my new BMW lol. 

So no ones heard of Avionixx amps? I just called this very reputable shop and they said they sold them too lol. I would do my own install but i don’t wanna risk ruining some electrical **** in my new BMW lol. 
i've never heard of them.. get pioneer 8601 or 9601 at least u know it does rated power (we've seen the amp dynos)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.