DEI amps

ighettoboyi
10+ year member

Shot Caller
what's the difference between the viper d1200.1, directed 1100.1, directed 1500d, and the orion 1200d?????? from what i've gathered the viper 1200 is the same as the directed 1100?? and the directed 1500d is just a newer 1100?? and why is the orion so expensive comparatively.... I'm interested in the 1500d but the damping factor is so low and the thd seems high.......not noticable audibly? what's the deal...

to be quite honest. ive got no idea.

from what i can gather, the viper is not 1100 watts, its actually 1200. the OLD 1100d = 1500d, and the new 1100d = the old 750d. they just changed the names so that the number 1100 would make people think they are 1100w i would bet.

as far as orion? i couldnt tell you. maybe the build quality is better than the directed line. thats all i can assume.. maybe its just more 'mainstream' but its all good stuff regardless. keep an eye out for an old 1100d - you can get them for like 200 shipped.

honestly i hate the new orion amps since they were bought out by DEi. I have a 600d and im not too happy with it. The old school orion amps were hot. They were underrated. Like the 2500d only puts out about 2500watts when the xtr 2400 can put out around 2700

would you guys think the nine.1 is worth the couple weeks wait to get them back in stock (backordered till mid march)...and the extra fifty bucks over the dei...

i dont understand the dei specs, the low ass damping factor and 1% thd....are these things just inaudible so i shouldn't care?

i wanna spend my money already!

The ED is a good choice. Depends on how much power you need, really. the Viper 2500 is $332 shipped from ikesound on ebay, so its twice the rated power at $18 less than the ED. But, the ED comes with the three year warrranty, opposed to 90 days on the Viper. Tough call.

i dont understand the dei specs, the low ass damping factor and 1% thd....are these things just inaudible so i shouldn't care?
Damping Factor; It depends on where it was rated......they might have rated the DF on the DEI while running it @ 1ohm (DF decreases as impedence decreases), rather than 4ohm like most other amps would.

Regardless, DF is a rather insignificant spec: http://www.zedaudio.com/NewPDFs/ZedManual-GREYSCALE.pdf - Read page 9 (technically page 6 if you look at the page #'s on the pages, but it's page 9 of the document). Then proceed to read the rest of the manual. That is by far one of the best written owner's manuals I've ever seen //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif Lots of good info in there.

As to the THD; If you or BCONNELLY thinks you can hear a difference between amp THD levels, then you both have super-human hearing. 1) The sub itself will distort WAY more than any amount of distortion produced by the amplifier. 2) Most people can not detect distortion in the subbass region until it reaches approximately 10-15%. As you can see, that ~1% THD difference in amplifier THD levels (which is still within inaudible ranges anyways) will be even LESS noticeable due to the sub itself and our insensitive hearing abilities.

About the DEI amps all the older model like 2003 - 2004 Viper , Directed and Orion all used same internal boards the Viper 1200.1 , Directed 1100.1 , Orion 1200D were all the same board also the Viper 2500.1 , Directed 2400 , and Orion 2500D were all basically the same except for cosmetics . Now the only one to have a amp that was a bit out of the line was Directed they had a 1500. But all that is to be expected when their mother company is DEI not sure if it still is but when those were made it was. Viper and Directed amps are no longer made I believe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.