Deck Settings + Amp Gain?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cbuts
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about my settings, if somethings incorrect.

also, do you guys keep your amp gain on low power or high power, lower power only allows volume to 30, high power is 50, i use high and play around 37-39, i will have a component set installed next week though.

thanks.

Sub w lvl 8/8

Bass lvl -6 (speakers only)

mid - 0

treb - 0

Audio:

Fade - 0

Balance - 0

Loud - off

vol adjust - 0

L/O Mode - Sub W

Sub woofer LPF - 55-120 (currently set at 85)

HPF - ON

Telemuting - off

amp gain - High power

Pro EQ:

bass - 60 hz ( wont save changes? )

bass - q.20 ( wont save changes? )

mid - 1.5

mid - 1.25

treb - 12.5khz

treb - q-fix

Source select - AM

amp settings: car2 :: IMG_1477.jpg picture by cbuts05 - Photobucket

Speaker bass should be at 0 as well. Set the deck to low for amp gain and use a DMM to set sub and speaker gains.

now when its set to low, it only allows for volume max up to 30, instead of 50 , which i usually play around 37-39, 30 is alot quieter? can you explain please.

my gain on amp is about 4-5, and lpf off? someone told me to turn it on :S

?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

now when its set to low, it only allows for volume max up to 30, instead of 50 , which i usually play around 37-39, 30 is alot quieter? can you explain please.

?
a car audio shop set to speaker to -6 so it dosnt blowmy speakers and since i have subs

(new components coming next weekish) ccurrently speakers not amped

?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

a car audio shop set to speaker to -6 so it dosnt blowmy speakers and since i have subs

(new components coming next weekish) ccurrently speakers not amped
If your amp is tuned right it wont matter if its set to amp gain high or low. Only difference it will make is the value when you turn it up. The lower gain will introduce less noise into the system.

All bass, treble, etc. should be set to flat and then the amps tuned from there. Thats the proper way to do it. Just because you have a sub doesnt mean you should turn everything down. If you have a pair of tweeters should you turn treble off for everything? No.

If your amp is tuned right it wont matter if its set to amp gain high or low. Only difference it will make is the value when you turn it up. The lower gain will introduce less noise into the system.
All bass, treble, etc. should be set to flat and then the amps tuned from there. Thats the proper way to do it. Just because you have a sub doesnt mean you should turn everything down. If you have a pair of tweeters should you turn treble off for everything? No.
thanks so make sure lpf is off?

and my settings are correct

amp gain low or high is set for the expected signal level out of the amp. it's relative. the manual will tell you what it is.

since you are powering your speakers from the HU - you find the loudest point you want to listen to speakers on the HU then adjust sub gain to match.

set bass level to whatever level you listen to. if you like some bass boost, set it before you set gains. otherwise, using bass boost after can cause clipping. i know some tutorials say not to do this. they are wrong. if you have bass at -6 to protect the speakers, that is fine to do and i understand why.

HU LPF is fine to use - it increases the slope of the LPF which is good. i prefer 24dB/oct LPF slope, most amps and HU's are only 12dB. it is fine to cascade filters.

not true if the high or low is setting input sensitivity range, i've seen amps that have two input ranges (low for RCA output and high for speaker level output ). my xtant amps have 5 different input sensitivity ranges separate from output gain adjustment. allows for .2-18V input range. you choose an input sensitivity that is matched to the expected signal output range from the source.

his high or low seems to be in the HU not the amp. if he wants more output from his speakers, then he chooses high. if he had an amp for his speakers, he could set it to low and increase amp gains. he may have less noise with more HU output and lower amp gains. in gain structure, we take gain as soon as we can get it.

i disagree. EQ should be set at listening preference. then adjust gain. his keeping bass low is protecting the speakers and giving him a higher listening volume. he then uses the sub to compensate. this is avoided with a HPF on the speakers, but that isn't always and option. EQ's are meant to be used. so using them is just fine. since the use of the EQ changes the signal level into the amp, it needs to be accounted for (especially any EQ boost).

IMG_1477.jpg

it appears you have gain set to 5. that is a relative number. you need to know what the input voltage range and extrapolate that to the scale on the amp.

i hate amps that don't put input sensitivity voltage numbers on gain. having gain "go to 11" is comical but not useful at all.

IMG_1477.jpg

it appears you have gain set to 5. that is a relative number. you need to know what the input voltage range and extrapolate that to the scale on the amp.

i hate amps that don't put input sensitivity voltage numbers on gain. having gain "go to 11" is comical but not useful at all.
true thanks can you tell me what some eye settings would be for this please?

Picture 2 of 5 for Hifonics ZRX500.2

running RE 6.5 XXX components

you can see the gain knob starts at 6V and ends at 0.2V. that is to correspond with the HU preout voltage from the HU. some factors to consider are what volume level you use on the HU. a 4V HU only achieves that at full tilt with a 0dB recorded signal (which is fairly common anymore). but if you only use 3/4 volume, you won't ever get that output from the HU.

to be safe, you can start with the input sensitivity at the level of the HU output. that is conservative. you may find it's louder than you want and you can turn it down. if you find you want more output, then you carefully proceed with meters, scopes, or calculations to determine what the actual HU output voltage will be and what unclipped power you can achieve.

you can see the gain knob starts at 6V and ends at 0.2V. that is to correspond with the HU preout voltage from the HU. some factors to consider are what volume level you use on the HU. a 4V HU only achieves that at full tilt with a 0dB recorded signal (which is fairly common anymore). but if you only use 3/4 volume, you won't ever get that output from the HU.
to be safe, you can start with the input sensitivity at the level of the HU output. that is conservative. you may find it's louder than you want and you can turn it down. if you find you want more output, then you carefully proceed with meters, scopes, or calculations to determine what the actual HU output voltage will be and what unclipped power you can achieve.
well my ddm i believe is broken the wire came outa the plastic ends lol.

my sub + amp is kinda already set, i believe at like 1500 rms, its been pounding for like months now no probs.

amp gain is high - allows volume to go past 30, so i have it set at 37-39 / 50 to be safe.

can u tell me which settings i will roughly use on t he speaker amp, so when i plug it in, i have something decent to listen to.. thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

cbuts

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
cbuts
canada,ont
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date