Decision time, speaker help and pricing ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SeaNile
10+ year member

04 Explorer and will be going with either Boston Acoustics SX60 components or SL 80's in the front doors. The SL80's (plate type speaker) is $100 more. Any comments on the two offerings?

My other big question is about pricing. Fair is fair, and the place does deserve to make money on the deal but the all of the equipment, subs and amps can be found on the net for significantly less $. Example, the speakers can be found for about $50 less and the amps I can save about $100+ between the two amps I need.

If I shop on the net I can probably save about $200 on the deal. Do I ask the local dealer to match net pricing? Don't want to piss off the shop as they will be doing the install.

Thanks.

JK

The shop isn't going to care much if they are not selling you the equipment anyway. They won't wty the stuff since they didn't sell it so even if they screw up, you eat the results. If paying for a little more wty protection gives you peace of mind, try asking them if they'd be willing to work with you SOME on the pricing that you have printed off and brought with you to show. You understand they can't match it, but meet you half way on it. Everybody wins and you get a better wty on the install as they will now be covering the equipment as well as the install.

It's very hard for stores to match the internet. Sometimes the internet is cheaper than the wholesale the shops are getting when buying 5 units at a time from the middle man as people on the net are buying in large bulk and moving much higher quantities at lower price to make the same money. When I owned stores I simply cut my profit in half of normal to do a price match no matter what the end result in price was. I can only absorb so much so sometimes the price you have is not relevant to the end result. The only relevance is what the shop is willing to lose from expected margins.

Good advice. I don't expect them to match and I don't want the hassle of buying the system from different vendors across the net.

Any recommendations on the offered Boston speakers?

John

The theory's as to why as endless, but I have found personally and had many agree that the plate speakers seem to take abuse better than the components. It's speculated that the plate speakers are pre-mounted on a flat surface frame and are less prone to be bent off axis like when mounting the components. Some are over tightened when installed, some are in panels that are not perfectly flat. That would make the voice coil less prone to arc or rub on longer movements and may account for the durability of the plate speakers. Along with the quality being better on the 80's, the durability is just a little insurance. I say if you are willing to spend, why not.

I was looking at my stock explorer doors and wonder how are they going to mount the speakers and have the tweeter part not completely blocked off by the stock, small 5x7 perforated opening? That would **** to have some of the speaker completely blocked off.

Well if you can't fit them then it will solve your dilemma quite easily. I've seen plates in the explorer doors before, but it's been forever since I have been in one.

Wow, just looked at a few recommended online stores and the prices might be too good not to buy from. SL80's from shop $299 and $150 online, amps $230 shop $135 online, etc. Hope the shop isn't pissed if I show up with a box full of stuff to install!!

John

Gotta look out for #1 before you can help #2. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif They'll still be glad to get your labor money. They actually make more off it than most component sales in many cases. Especially with the current economy and everybody trying to keep pricing to an inviting level. Labor money is fine stuff.

Full setup, headunit, satellite, 4 door speakers ($150 to install the 4 with making plates if need be), install 2 amps, etc. Shop rate of $75/hr. Buying equipment online will save me upwards of $325.

John

Ewww hourly rate. That can be stretched and varied to the shops convenience. Better get a solid component rate or get the install in writing before it begins.

Most shops are $50 head unit, $65 per amp, $65 per set of mids (excluding custom fabrication), etc.... so forth and so forth. If they gave you a price in stone for what they'd so it for and it will not be changed due to the installer taking 9 smoke breaks an hour then if the price works for you go for it. The safe bet is a component quote as above with a possible custom fab charge for the plates unless they quote you for those as well.

Regardless just make sure that price isn't going up if you get in there and the installer isn't exactly the quickest rabbit in the pack. I have seen some serious raping of customers when going for quotes on the hour. The installer in bay #1 may be able to do it in 2 hours and the one in bay #3 may do it in 5 hours.

They are likely going off a standard hourly pricing structure for the install, but it needs to be determined if that price will fluctuate for ANY reason before you drop off the keys. If it is even possible in any way, don't take the "oh it usually never changes from the estimate" line they use to bring you in. Go find a shop that quotes by the components, not the hour.

Sadly there are good shops and bad shops. Best way to have a good experience is to be covering the bases before starting. First base is a shop that charges flat component rates and leaves no door open for fluctuating labor prices.

Actually the written estimate does say 75 for HU, install amps and sub with wires and cables 150 and 150 for the speaker install. I just noticed the $75/hr on the wall. Looks like total turn key install is $375. I will get everything in writing come Monday. They also forgot to add in the Sirius install which is $100 for the kit and install. They also added in $15 for shop supplies...I can deal with that as long as the install is done well, the truck looks 100% stock and the price does not go up!

150 for amps - is that with their amp kits or your amp kit you may already have?

The speaker labor is a bit pricey. $100 is about right for all 4. I think you may can do better on that one. Should be $45-$50 per set. They seem to be charging you for an amp install for the mids which would cover the amp bypass. THEN they are charging you to hook them to an amp again under the install. There's nothing special about an explorer install. If you need plates they can sell you some. There are tons of pre-fab plates on the market and they should have them in stock without the need to make anything from raw ABS. Metra and Scosche makes several different mounting options. You may can even find them yourself and order while getting your speakers.

Somehow one shop says nothing other than 5x7 OR 5.25 components will fit. Other show says the SL 80's or 6.5" components will fit. I hope to god the SL80's fit because I am heavily leaning in that direction. With the net pricing I am thinking of getting SL80's for the front and rears powered by a Kenwood 8404 amp (unless someone can suggest a better pairing) and a 12" Boston G2 sub in an enclosed box powered by a mono Kenwood amp.

I finally feel like this is shaping up to be a decent system. The 5x7's all around powered by a 40x4 just wasn't doing it for me......

--JK

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.