Deadening doors on a 06 civic help!

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, let me start off by thanking cthedinger from Audio Technix once again for the deadener. Ill be putting it into good use.

But anyways, Ill be using some abs sheets to cover the holes in the door. Then deaden the whole door with the Audio Technix deadener. Ill also be adding some closed cell foam around the speaker from the oustide. Does this sound good? Is there anything else I should add thatll help? Also, I read up that adding closed cell foam inside the actual door will help some. Is this true or just a waste of money?

thanks

[quote name='myjaja']So, let me start off by thanking cthedinger from Audio Technix once again for the deadener. Ill be putting it into good use.

But anyways, Ill be using some abs sheets to cover the holes in the door. Then deaden the whole door with the Audio Technix deadener. Ill also be adding some closed cell foam around the speaker from the oustide. Does this sound good? Is there anything else I should add thatll help? Also, I read up that adding closed cell foam inside the actual door will help some. Is this true or just a waste of money?

thanks[/QUOTE]

With the research Ive done, best process is

Deaden outer door skin
plug all holes in the doors with material of your choice, )Id use aluminum or make fiberglass plugs over ABS but thats just my opinion, to each its own):fro:
if you use aluminum, deaden both sides, tap it into the doors
the closed cell foam over that

never heard of closed cell on the outer door skin though

maybe @keep_hope_alive can chime in on this? thats who i watch builds for when it comes to deadening and SQ

[quote name='04murdalanche']With the research Ive done, best process is

Deaden outer door skin
plug all holes in the doors with material of your choice, )Id use aluminum or make fiberglass plugs over ABS but thats just my opinion, to each its own):fro:
if you use aluminum, deaden both sides, tap it into the doors
the closed cell foam over that

never heard of closed cell on the outer door skin though

maybe @keep_hope_alive can chime in on this? thats who i watch builds for when it comes to deadening and SQ[/QUOTE]

So youre saying to also add closed cell foam on top of the holes I plugged up?

So youre saying to also add closed cell foam on top of the holes I plugged up?
correct, from what I understand, and im a SQ newb so bare with me, but you do NOT want the unwanted noise to come into the car, sound deadener, for the most part just adds mass to the door panel, to help stop flex but doesnt do much in terms of quieting down road noise. CCF will really silence road noise, but to answer your question, yes, cover your inner door skin in CCF if you have enough material to do so, if not, just around the speaker will make an audible difference from what I've read. I have yet to experiment myself however, I actually got lucky browsing eBay just now and ordered a few SQ ft of Second Skin Overkill CCF on ebay for $6 shipped, cant beat that.

U was want to use fiberglass bats (insulation) inside the do panels. I had a talk with keephopealive asking him about ccf and he said it is pretty much useless for absorbing sound. Im sure he will chime in her and give u a way better detailed answer then i have.

my build log shows the process.

the goal for putting absorption inside the door is to absorb sound inside the door cavity before it finds a way into the cabin. this includes rear speaker sound as well as road noise.

closed cell foam (CCF) is not good for absorbing sound. it is good for isolating vibrations while not absorbing water.

open cell foam is ok at absorbing sound but relative to thickness and still mostly high frequencies. you need 12" thick wedges to start getting into mids.

fiberglass batt insulation in thin plastic bags (i use 1 mil) is excellent at absorbing sound inside the door. it's also the cheapest option.

you want foam for seals. you want to seal the speaker on both front and rear. front to the door panel/grill, and rear to the mounting baffle/door.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.