deadender to seal door??

Participant count
  • Participant list
it would be recommended to put something stronger behind it if you want to completely seal it off, or the deadener will act like a passive radiator. Not necessarily a bad thing if it is designed that way, but again, going to the original question, support it with something. But this also depend on the size of the areas you want to cover. If you are covering 3/4" holes, not really needed, but a 20 square in opening for example, yes.

i just use aluminum sheet metal (available at hardware stores). then i apply deadener to both sides and foam or silicone to seal. silicone stinks, so foam is preferred. then i use self-piercing sheet metal screws to hold it in place. self-tapping don't work as well through deadener.
pics of my process are here:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html?daysprune=100
Yea, definitely not a good idea, lol. Aluminum sheet metal should work well enough for midrange frequencies down to about 120Hz on high power applications, and great for full range nominal output. Just make sure everything is very secure before finishing it up. Don't want any noise from the mounting, or at all for that matter. It will ruin the entire install...until it's fixed anyhow. And sometimes the noise will deceive you on it's location, which will make it tough to pinpoint sometimes, so attention to detail is priority for this type of modification.

the door is already made of thin sheet metal - nothing about a car door is ideal for a speaker enclosure, and for the Scion, the factory sheet metal could be flexed by hand anyway. Aluminum was chosen to help prevent rusting (even though the layer of deadener would have prevented that). the additional layers of BXT II really made a difference in the performance of that panel, we used 2 layers and yes, two made a big difference over one simply in the resonant frequency of the door. you could use heavier gauge steel in lieu of aluminum if the opening was large enough.

you'll like what i'm planning for midbass enclosures on/in my doors... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i agree that you really want rigid mass for the covering. you don't want something you can flex by hand.

the door is already made of thin sheet metal - nothing about a car door is ideal for a speaker enclosure, and for the Scion, the factory sheet metal could be flexed by hand anyway. Aluminum was chosen to help prevent rusting (even though the layer of deadener would have prevented that). the additional layers of BXT II really made a difference in the performance of that panel, we used 2 layers and yes, two made a big difference over one simply in the resonant frequency of the door. you could use heavier gauge steel in lieu of aluminum if the opening was large enough.
you'll like what i'm planning for midbass enclosures on/in my doors... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i agree that you really want rigid mass for the covering. you don't want something you can flex by hand.
That is very true. Do you remember when they explained about the parallel walls and a single point source and time differences? That is basically the replicant of that type of environment. Not to mention being acoustically large AND small for the entire range. This is why I absolutely love the sound in a concert hall, because it is acoustically large for the full spectrum and resonances are used properly. In a vehicle, too many limitations and variables exist for optimum performance of any enclosure, agreed. Oh, I took a look at your install, looks great. How do the hertz sound? Great drivers.

the Hertz sound amazing. still working on the sub enclosure (he and I have been busy lately). but even without a sub, you can feel bass in your chest and seat. pretty cool for a simple 2-way. with some T/A the soundstage is incredible. bass is up front as well.

after the sub enclosure we'll do beauty panels for the trunk. and he's looking at the DEX-99RS as well.

yea, acoustically, the door is a challenge. even having a flat plane right behind the driver... then factor in the change in sound when you roll the windows down and you have glass right behind the driver and a leak along the top!!!

i've been reading a lot about concert hall design lately, there are some good books by Beranek on the subject, with reviews of 40 concert halls around the world and lots of studies on what aspects of the concert hall affect the perception of good acoustics. at work i'm doing ITDG calculations for a 500 seat auditorium i'm working on - trying to nail down the ceiling cloud reflectors and wall treatments.

the Hertz sound amazing. still working on the sub enclosure (he and I have been busy lately). but even without a sub, you can feel bass in your chest and seat. pretty cool for a simple 2-way. with some T/A the soundstage is incredible. bass is up front as well.
after the sub enclosure we'll do beauty panels for the trunk. and he's looking at the DEX-99RS as well.

yea, acoustically, the door is a challenge. even having a flat plane right behind the driver... then factor in the change in sound when you roll the windows down and you have glass right behind the driver and a leak along the top!!!

i've been reading a lot about concert hall design lately, there are some good books by Beranek on the subject, with reviews of 40 concert halls around the world and lots of studies on what aspects of the concert hall affect the perception of good acoustics. at work i'm doing ITDG calculations for a 500 seat auditorium i'm working on - trying to nail down the ceiling cloud reflectors and wall treatments.
Sounds good. I seen the initial enclosure plan you have posted. I'm sure it will blend well when complete. Now regarding concert staging and your calcculations, pay attention to the degree at where the LF range hits the seats. It has been tested that some major effects happen to the bass when at certain angles to each individuals listening positions. You might read about it somewhere in that literature. Its about the soundwaves hitting the top of the seats and then creating uneven responses. This was one of the few things they looked at when designing these halls. You should check out what's called whispering galleries as well. Pretty interesting.

sounds good. thanks for the heads up. sometimes, i can't believe i get paid to do some of this stuff. i love it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.