DC Level 4XL 18 Question

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
My Friend/teammate has 2 dc level 4xl 18s. 1 is blown and the other is not far off. Hes going to be doing a recone on both subs. And is wondering if its possible to recone the his sub with level 6 internals. Is this possible?.. i myself told him im pretty sure it is but he would have to make the space in motor bigger so it can fit a 4" coil.

thanks in advance.....

hm i always thought you could make a motor fit a bigger coil
The only thing you can do to fit a bigger coil is bore out the top plate to fit say a 3" 8 layer coil when a 3" 4 layer would have only worked. You need a completely different motor to do different size coils. The top plate has to change, the slugs have to change, the pole has to change, etc.

[quote name='Kangaroux']The only thing you can do to fit a bigger coil is bore out the top plate to fit say a 3" 8 layer coil when a 3" 4 layer would have only worked. You need a completely different motor to do different size coils. The top plate has to change, the slugs have to change, the pole has to change, etc.[/QUOTE]

oh. ok i see. so the only choice he has is to get the same recone he had? he buys from dc because he is sponsored by them he probly wont do a custom recone.

@Kangaroux; while your here, lol who would you prefer to do you recone if you still had the AQ?

[quote name='bgowdy31']oh. ok i see. so the only choice he has is to get the same recone he had? he buys from dc because he is sponsored by them he probly wont do a custom recone.

@Kangaroux; while your here, lol who would you prefer to do you recone if you still had the AQ?[/QUOTE]

AQ can do the recone the cheapest but I would go to splaudio if you have the extra cash to spend. He gave me a good price for a drop in on mine, all you would need to do is buy a little bit of CA glue.

AQ can do the recone the cheapest but I would go to splaudio if you have the extra cash to spend. He gave me a good price for a drop in on mine, all you would need to do is buy a little bit of CA glue.
.....yea id rather get rid of the aq internals honestly. i know they hurt pretty bad on termlab. what price did splaudio quote you again?

My Friend/teammate has 2 dc level 4xl 18s. 1 is blown and the other is not far off. Hes going to be doing a recone on both subs. And is wondering if its possible to recone the his sub with level 6 internals. Is this possible?.. i myself told him im pretty sure it is but he would have to make the space in motor bigger so it can fit a 4" coil.
thanks in advance.....
No can do. Pole piece is for 3"

Level 5s use 3.5 inch coils now
Wouldn't touch them with 10 foot pole then. You're stuck buying parts from DC. Old LV5 is pretty flexible and performs very well with Sundown Z recone kit.

see id reather go that route because thats not much more then the aqs. did he say how much they will handle rms wise?
3" coil will handle 1200W continuously (50hz sine wave forever). Beyond that it's a matter of time before they fail from heat. You can build them to handle anything mechanically.

Put your hand on a 100W light bulb and see how long you can hold it there.... now multiply that by 20 and that's what your coil has to deal with at 2KW

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.