D3100 resting voltage low??

tx_nissan
10+ year member

ok, so i bought a D3100 from a guy off of here yesterday, and i was under the impression that the battery was sitting at 12.8-12.9 volts. So i get it, go to Autozone and have them charge it with the AGM charger pretty much all day while i was in classes.

They take it off the charger, and their meter reads 12.6 volts at a 96% charge. Is this normal?? seems low to me. He did say that they had been sitting for a while without use, so is there anything i may have to do to get it up to normal?

Im not gonna say who i bought it from until i'm sure it's a bad battery. I appreciate the help.

well he told me the battery was sitting in his garage for a while, so im assuming like 6-8 months. I dont know when he purchased the battery. Sorry i dont have more info to give. If the battery is bad, do i have any recourse against him? he lives like one city away from me.

i sold the batt to him i just checked the other 2 batts and they sit at 12.5 volt i had the batts for a year but 7 months with out charge just sitting

Hey man, i wasnt gonna say your name cause i didnt want to give you any bad rep cause i wasnt for sure or anything. I still trust you and im gonna hook it up to the alt to see if it goes higher.

Resting voltage for the D3100 is usually 13.2V. 12.9 would be fully charged. I would get a good AGM charger and charge it up fully and see what it goes too. Coming off of the charger it should read about 14.4V and then drop down to around 13.2V after 12 to 24 hours.

Not trying to say anything is wrong with the battery, but if a battery is left for an extended period of time without recharging it can cause some damage to the battery. Any time a battery is stored and drops below 12.6V it can cause the plates in the battery to sulfate, which can decrease the life of the battery and the performance of the battery. You can sometimes bring the batteries back though.

There may be nothing wrong with the battery at all. You will need to fully charge it first to determine the state of the battery. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.