Cutting wood.......

My neighbor is the lumber cutter at hd, so I tell him what I need and they are perfect 98% of the time..Just like anything in retail if it aint right you do not have to pay, or you can return it..

They won't guarantee precision cuts. I only use them for rough cutting the panel into pieces I can put in my car. Always get them bigger by 1/2".

just make sure they are consistent with which side of the blade they are cutting the piece you want. Other than that, its going to be a hit and miss. If I remember correctly, they guarantee it not to be off by more than 1/8" only.

The big thing I see they do is run the blade back up while it's still on which bugs the shit outta me...power tool rule #1 always turn the blade off before removing your piece

Could try a carpentry shop and see if they will do the finer cuts after you have HD or lowes cut it down. Cost more but you will know your box goes together correctly.

The guys at Home Depot can cut it correctly. Trick is to sit there and watch them do it and make sure you emphasize the importance of accurate cuts. Not to say you're not going to get the occasional idiot that couldn't make a straight cut if his life depended on it but it does help....

I had to build an enclosure in the middle of no where a few years ago(was at a show), only place around was a HD. I went in and they messed it all up. So I sent Amber back in with the wood and a large T-square. She came back in about 30min with all new cuts that were 100% dead on as if we cut them. I had this happen two times actually, both times I just let Amber deal with it as I have found that places like that will cater to a woman with no questions asked.

I'd just measure all the pieces after they make the cuts and if they mess it up, don't buy it. Depending on the size of pieces you need, I usually just get the 4x8' sheet cut into three equal pieces so I can fit it into my car and then cut it at home myself.
They usually have a disclaimer posted that says the dont do exact cuts, it is nice to lay out your cut sheet so that you can maximize material usage.

actually as of late there is new rules, you buy first then they cut, so if they mess up it on you as buyer.
I have not seen this yet.
Have them cut the wood 1/8" more than you need... and measure before they cut and after they cut... I have not had one issue with them doing that here. or messing up the cuts.
This is what I do, intentionally tell them abou .5 inches larger, then cut at home...

I would not recommend it, I was helping my friend out with a box build last week and both of our power tools are over two hours away since we're in college and he decided to get the wood cut at Lowe's instead of waiting until one of us went home and could use the proper tools. Long story short the cuts were off and not even a straight line on most of them so he ended up having to buy a plane to make the cuts remotely straight and the hand sanding. After all of the extra work and sealing the inside as well it still has some air leaks. My recommendation to you would be to either buy the tools to do it your self or have it cut into smaller pieces if you do not have a truck to move it in and do the cuts yourself if you can.

yeah i was at home depot last week and had to get wood cut, we ask to have it cut and was told policy changed. buy before they cut so if something happens you need more wood.

My Lumber Mart charges a good $25 more per sheet, but they're really nice in the back, and will do however many cuts and will be spot on every time. Then I always tip the two guys there for actually caring and taking some time to do so. Luckily they are middle-aged guys, and know wtf blade curve is and to account for it, and cut on the proper side of a measurement.

When Lumber Mart does not have what I need, when I go to Lowe's I tell the guys straight up, hey fellas, I will tip each of you five bucks if you makes these cuts for me, and remember to account for the 1/8" of the blade since this is quite important to me guys.

Never had a problem.

Like a few have stated, when I feel like the people aren't capable of getting it right, I'll have them cut an inch over on each measurement (which in turn means they'll cut 7/8" or 1 1/8" bahah) and true it up with my table or skillsaw and straight cut jig. Sometimes I feel as if it is more effective than my giant table saw and its fence, all these Skilsaw/Jigsaw/Router jigs I have for circular, straight, and radius cuts are freakin' sweet and very effective. Not one complaint. Perfect trued cuts every time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.