Custom vented box for 1 12" TS-W311S4 HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Amsterdam
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum so forgive my noobness, but I got my first car and of course I am exited.

After doing some research I found the woofer I wish to implement in my car. I already have an amp which can run 400 rms.

The specs of the woofer are right here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/TS-W311S4_InstructionManual100314.pdf.

A custom vented box should fit fine even though I have a small boot. Now I attempted a couple of box designs but none of them really seemed to work out. WinISD is just way too confusing for me.

My dimensions are pretty small, I only have 12.5 inches in depth and 11.5 inches in height available. The width is a variable (max 39.3 inches). I was planning to use 18mm mdf (about 0.75 inches).

I was advised to look for around 30-32Hz as I mostly listen to Hip-Hop music. I just can't get it to work, is there anyone who can help?

I would highly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

39x11.5x12.5 2.39 gross cubes. If you run an aeroport (5x22") you'll be at around 1.97 net at 32.12hz. 2 issues here will be the port will need to be side firing and it's not easy finding a 5" aeroport.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

That leaves me with a few more questions if you don't mind me asking.

1. Pioneer recommends 1.5 cubic feet as vented box size, how does that relate to your 2.39/1.97, you used about the max width I have available so does that mean the recommended is not something I should even think about?

2. We use metrics, not inches and feet. It's fine to just cknvert your measurements right? And am I right that your 39 is the width you've calculated?

3. Can't I just use a slotted port? Or will that be too hard. Since we do use metrics I'm having trouble understandjng what port I should use measured in mm.

I know I'm asking much, thanks so far!

We use nothing but inches and feet here in the states. You can convert it however you like, math is universal. You don't look at gross volume except for the fact of how much space it takes in your trunk. Pioneer recommends 1.5 cubes but you can certainly use more space and with your own dimensions that you choose. Don't have to follow exactly what manufacture says. You can do slotted port, that's up to you. To me, aeroports are easier to calculate and you can always change tuning along the way. It also takes up less space than a slotted port usually. Side firing as in port going to the left or right as you will not be able to fit it any other way because your depth is too short. Subs facing up would work better in a hatchback or SUV type of car. In a trunk, subs facing rear would be ideal in most cases.

Okay thanks that helps. And I'm assuming those measurements I got from CSC are external ones (+1,5 inch mdf already added?).

And well.. Since one of those Aeroports is not available in that size I'm forced to use a slotted port. Is anybody able to help with that? Shouldn't it be just fine having the woofer on top with the slotted port next to it? There should be enough room.

Thanks again.

@CSCStang I just read you meant a 5 22" port, how am I going to find a bassreflex port that tall. 5" is doable, it's about 11.something in cm, but the length. Holy crap. Those don't even exist I think.
By the way, what about port noise. What's the kind of air velocity I should be looking at in WinISD?

its really not a sealed box woofer. Id try 2.2(63l) tuned to 35 see how that works. its pretty crappy woofer honestly.. probably wont handle much more than 250 watts in that alignment..you should be-able to get away with one 4" port at that tune.. the port should be ruffly 100mm in diameter x 244mm long. or if you can get a vent 125mm DIAx 406mm long.. firing out hte side is perfectly fine as long as you have 65mm of space between it and the trunk

its really not a sealed box woofer. Id try 2.2(63l) tuned to 35 see how that works. its pretty crappy woofer honestly.. probably wont handle much more than 250 watts in that alignment..you should be-able to get away with one 4" port at that tune.. the port should be ruffly 100mm in diameter x 244mm long. or if you can get a vent 125mm DIAx 406mm long.. firing out hte side is perfectly fine as long as you have 65mm of space between it and the trunk
What woofer would you recommend me?

PS: I've been looking at this one instead: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Champion+Series/TS-W310S4. what about that?

yBZJkub.png

How does this look? Not sure if this program is 100% reliable but it looks pretty good to me.

That leaves me with a few more questions if you don't mind me asking.
1. Pioneer recommends 1.5 cubic feet as vented box size, how does that relate to your 2.39/1.97, you used about the max width I have available so does that mean the recommended is not something I should even think about?

2. We use metrics, not inches and feet. It's fine to just cknvert your measurements right? And am I right that your 39 is the width you've calculated?

3. Can't I just use a slotted port? Or will that be too hard. Since we do use metrics I'm having trouble understandjng what port I should use measured in mm.

I know I'm asking much, thanks so far!
pioneer specs are junk. You wont get any good results going with a 1.5 cubic feet for a single 12 as it'll be strangling it. I'd change your tuning to 34/35 hz for hip hop. 32 and under is for bass re-enhanced music that goes down to the 20hz range which most hip hop doesnt even reach.

What woofer would you recommend me?
PS: I've been looking at this one instead: TS-W310S4 - 12" Champion Series Subwoofer with Single 4 © Voice Coil | Pioneer Electronics USA. what about that?
I'd stay clear away from pioneer subwoofers completely, they are in the realms of boss, pyle, pyramid bottom of the barrel junk.

If you are on a budget, look for jbl GT5 series of subs or alpine type R if you want a level up. Those subs should easily be accessible in your country. Try seeing if you have access to ground zero or B2 audio as well as they are european equivalents of the next level gear that we run over here in America.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.