CT sound amps - Good or not ?!

Well, i'm getting confused again....i know that the gain setting is actually input sensitivity and is meant to match output voltage to input. But what i thought, and what i've been told by others is that the more you turn up the gain, the more you are likely to clip, no matter what input voltage you have.
i'd have to find the thread but i was saying that i planned to buy C-DSP. Someone told me, can't remember who : '' I strongly suggest you to get a DSP with higher output voltage so you won't need to get a bigger amp to keep the gain as low as possible. If you have only 2V out of the DSP you will need to set the gain higher to reach the output you want and the amp might clip''

So , considering that he was wrong, ultimately, if i only have only 200mV out of the DSP, i could set the gain all the way up and the amp would not clip ? I'm only speaking theoriticaly here...
You are more likely to clip because you're getting closer to the threshold of the amps capabilities. If it takes 100rms to your speakers to get to the spl level you desire and you have an amp that does 100rms out then your right at the edge of what you need and your very close to clipping but YOU ARENT.

If you're driving a car that can go 150mph max and you're driving at 150mph. You are closer to blowing you're engine than if you are driving 50mph. Same concept.

If you have say a 500rms out amp and you need 100rms. Then you can set your gains lower because you'll only need 1/5th of the gain to reach your desired output.

However, music is dynamic and recorded at different levels so its best to leave yourself headroom.

Just remember most people have no idea wtf they're talking about so when it comes to car audio. Dont trust your buddies.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

You are more likely to clip because you're getting closer to the threshold of the amps capabilities. If it takes 100rms to your speakers to get to the spl level you desire and you have an amp that does 100rms out then your right at the edge of what you need and your very close to clipping but YOU ARENT.
If you're driving a car that can go 150mph max and you're driving at 150mph. You are closer to blowing you're engine than if you are driving 50mph. Same concept.

If you have say a 500rms out amp and you need 100rms. Then you can set your gains lower because you'll only need 1/5th of the gain to reach your desired output.

However, music is dynamic and recorded at different levels so its best to leave yourself headroom.

Just remember most people have no idea wtf they're talking about so when it comes to car audio. Dont trust your buddies.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
That makes it very clear now, thanks a lot !

Good info, thanks !
So, if i understand this right, i need to find the max clean output level on my HU, set it to that point then level match on the DSP ? After that i find the max clean output of the DSP, set it there then adjust the gain on the amp ?

If the amp is 125w x 4 and i have 125w components i want to use to their full potential, i have to set the input sensitivity with the max clean output of the DSP, say 1.8V. At what point do i know that the amp could clip ?? if i had a better DSP with 4V max out, i would set the amp to 4V, the multiplier would be smaller thus reduces the chances of clipping. But typically, is there a point in the gain setting that i know that the amp would be clipping ? is it at 1/2 out, or 3/4 etc. I know it would be better to get a more powerful amp than the wattage i want my drivers to operate but could i still run this amp without clipping ?
invest in an Oscope

Download audacity and see what DB levels your music is in general, go through like 30 songs and find a good average

Then use the proper test tone with a proper DB level to set your gains with the oscope.

However Its easier though to just listen. When your speakers are stressed out, they tend to get peaky, and break up and generally sound pretty bad. Its a lot easier to set gains with your ear when it comes to mids and highs than subs.

oh wow I just realized the price of oscopes shot through the roof. Used to be able to get one for 60 dollars now its all 100+
Are you serious or making fun of me ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I just saw different oscope for sale, it's starting at 600$ up to 15 000$ !!!! I guess they are not the same type of oscope ?!

Are you serious or making fun of me ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I just saw different oscope for sale, it's starting at 600$ up to 15 000$ !!!! I guess they are not the same type of oscope ?!
DSO nano v3 is the standard. Honestly, You dont need to scope anything with the power you have on tap. 3/4 volume on your head unit. raise the door speaker gain till its loud enough that you enjoy it. do the same for the tweets. If your running active. otherwise its one gain for all 4 speakers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

no the ones i'm talking about are pocket oscopes like the DSO nano or saintsmart pocket oscopes. They used to be 40-60 dollars on amazon.

DSO nano v3 is the standard. Honestly, You dont need to scope anything with the power you have on tap. 3/4 volume on your head unit. raise the door speaker gain till its loud enough that you enjoy it. do the same for the tweets. If your running active. otherwise its one gain for all 4 speakers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
generally the easy and free way to do it. Just need common sense. Guy sounded like he wanted to get technical lol.

Guy sounded like he wanted to get technical lol.
Exactly, i always wanna know perfectly how stuff work, even though i might never use it...sometimes it's a real pain in the arse to deal with myself !//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I have the alpine prd-f50 and I love that **** thing. Very clean power and can get on eBay for around $250. I know you're looking for something else, but alpine amps are solid and very clean if you're open to other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of those things get something good once and not have to replace junk down the road. Also, good is going to give you quality sound, not just noise out of your speakers. Guess all depends on what SQ you're looking for boss. Good luck tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i run a AT 1200.1 @.5 on good electrical ZERO issue... the big amps are the ones with problems as the boards are missing screws that secure it to the case..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.