another amp suggestion request....sorry.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ejb222

So this is my first post...please go easy on me.

Just installed a Kenwood KDC x998 in my 2001 GMC Sierra. Got it for Christmas with a 10" sub box and a JL 10w0 4ohm. So after some research I'd like to purchase a 5 channel amp to run the sub and a future set of Hertz hsk 165 for the front. Someone suggested to me the JL xd700/5, but isn't it a bit under powered?

The speakers are 100w rms and the amp is rated at 75w/channel. The sub is 75-300w arms rated but the amp is 180w @ 4ohm. Isn't it better to not under power the components, as the amp is more likely to clip the closer you approach its max capabilities?

I listen to everything from Radiohead to Mozart to Kenny Burrell to Pantera ? hopefully y'all can steer me in the right direction. Any amps I should stay away from?

If you do not feel that the JL amp is powerful enough, then I would recommend Arc Audio XDi 1100.5. It will be powerful enough and it is a very flexible amplifier, as well. It's crossover capabilities are such that you can go active with it and without being required to use a DSP. Most amplifiers, that I have found, do not have that crossover capability.

If you do not feel that the JL amp is powerful enough, then I would recommend Arc Audio XDi 1100.5. It will be powerful enough and it is a very flexible amplifier, as well. It's crossover capabilities are such that you can go active with it and without being required to use a DSP. Most amplifiers, that I have found, do not have that crossover capability.
Amp crossovers are still limited to one slope. They are ok for starting out but not ideal. I'd take a amp with just a gain pot anyway.

Amp crossovers are still limited to one slope. They are ok for starting out but not ideal. I'd take a amp with just a gain pot anyway.
You are mostly correct about the amp crossovers being limited to one slope. But, there is a JL 900.5 for sale in these classifieds (for a decent price, even) that does offer choice of slopes (off, 12db, 24db) for all channels. OP, again, if the 700.5 does not have enough power for you, you might want to check this one out.

But, I do agree with you, Loss, about not wanting any of that on my amp. I am currently saving my pennies for a Zapco Z-LX amp. It's going to take a while, they are not cheap. And, besides, most people, if going active, will want a DSP for all the flexibility it will give them.

Oh, and I did make a mistake about the Acr XDi 1100.5 having the crossover abilities to go active. It does not. It is the XDi 1200.6 that I was thinking of.

You are mostly correct about the amp crossovers being limited to one slope. But, there is a JL 900.5 for sale in these classifieds (for a decent price, even) that does offer choice of slopes (off, 12db, 24db) for all channels. OP, again, if the 700.5 does not have enough power for you, you might want to check this one out.
But, I do agree with you, Loss, about not wanting any of that on my amp. I am currently saving my pennies for a Zapco Z-LX amp. It's going to take a while, they are not cheap. And, besides, most people, if going active, will want a DSP for all the flexibility it will give them.

Oh, and I did make a mistake about the Acr XDi 1100.5 having the crossover abilities to go active. It does not. It is the XDi 1200.6 that I was thinking of.
there's a Alpine PDX-5 on CL for $200 in my area. Would you suggested this amp? If I was too look at it, how would make sure it works properly and is worth the money?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.