• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 3K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

hey. I can either get a 12" Premier Sub powered by a JBL 300.1 amp, or 2 12" Premier Subs powered by a crunch amp that claims to do 350 watts X 2. The subs are 200 watts RMS, and 800 watts Max.

Ive heard stories about cruch amps being under rated, but since the RMS is just 200 on the subs, i figured even with underrating the Crunch should be able to push the subs. Are there any other downsides to Crunch amps other than them being underrated? For example, will the JBL Amp be noticeably cleaner sounding?

Which will generally sound better 1 12 pushed by 300 watts, or 2 12s pushed by "350" watts? I will put them in a sealed enclosure, and i drive a celica hatchback.

Thanks a lot.

oh yeah and i think i meant overrated instead of underrated.

if ur paying the same price, get the 2 12's, then use that amp till u get a good amp, like a jbl perhaps, ur gonna need a better amp.

I always wondered about crunch amps. my neighbor got one from ubid, the 2100 which suppose to put out 400/ch mono bridged. The amp looked nice, but felt light. the aluminum chassis is very lite weight. opening up the chassis revealed a smallish power supply.

he hooked up the amp to a single 8 inch audiobahn stuffed into a .5 cubic foot cabinet. the first thing we noticed was the excessive dimming of the lighted meters. the amp could not control the woofer, it kept on fluttering. we could not get much volume before the woofer started fluttering.

we substituted out the crunch with a carver amp and noted immediately the controlled sub cone movement. bass was impressive.

this tells us that regardless of crunch's stance of not using overrated power numbers, it is very obvious that this amp would be lucky to be pushing 25watts/channel or 100 watts mono. definitely not an amp to drive subs.

This only my opinion but I have to agree with rangerman...Mind you I don't have two JBL1200.1's like him, but I have one JBL600.1 running two 12"MTX 8000's in a sealed box and it gives me a healthy massage.Some might say that I'm under powering my subs, but they sound like they're being worked out to me..(And very well for that matter.) I know two insallers that both compete with Rockford equipment and they were, and still are, amazed at how much power the JBL power valves actually put out. Also at how cool and stable they run..They built my box and did my install for me. Listen to rangerman and go with the JBL300.1 and the one 12"...ported box maybe??You won't be sorry..

I have those crunch drive series that flutter the displays.

Definantly over-rated by as much as 2/5.

BUT they are decent amps for people who are broke. Plus, if you get a 350x2 crunch you'll prob get like 400-500 watts rms.

by the way, the new crunch series are definantly better than the crome drive ones.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.