Crown xls 2500

^^This^^!!
princ3cmo: No offense intended, but I doubt the preouts from that Denon would put out enough signal voltage. I tried going straight out of several Onkyo's, Pioneer's, Marantz receivers to drive my XLS2000, XTi1000, Samson S1000, Audio Centron RMA-800 amps and it never worked well. You'll probably have to pre-amp/line-drive the signal cuz you'll only be getting about half of the amp's output otherwise with no headroom at all.

A great, inexpensive option is to use a DJ type mixer with clean gains. This $250-ish Numark is $99 at GC and will be $79 Black Friday. iPod dock, lots of inputs, digital effects, cross-fade mixing, and yeah, tons of clean gain.

Numark iM9 4-Channel DJ Mixer for iPod | GuitarCenter

I've been using one as a hub for about 6 months to feed the Crowns and Samson. The XLS2000 is powering 3 JL 18W6's runnin IB and shaking the phuk out of the house...with NO BOX!!!

IMG_0834.jpg

Because of Crown's excellent onboard programming options, you won't need an upstream crossover, time-alignment, etc.

GL Bro!
Just saw this. I haven't bought the receiver yet. So I'm still open to options. I'd like something with a remote control though as I'll use it for TV too and I don't want to have to get out of bed all of the time to adjust the volume.

Right now its just coming out of the preouts of the TV, nothing special. Its enough volume for my room for sure. If the Denon outs are just a little stronger than the TV, I think I'll be satisfied. But, I'm still looking into preouts and EQs as well...

mine gets my jl w7 15 psi recone a fit too ahha deff bottomed it out a few times. i have a ****** signal going to the amp too so im excpecting it to be much much louder. im so content with my xls 2500 and 1000. of coarse theres better but these amps cant be beat with how much you pay. like price to quaility ratio.

how big of a difference between the mix and normal old ipod? like output wise
Between the two, it's an unfair fight. I forget the actual total amount of stacked gain that's possible on that particular unit, but probably in the 20dB+ range. You'll have a powerful, clean signal feeding that ****** amp you got with plenty of headroom to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this. I haven't bought the receiver yet. So I'm still open to options. I'd like something with a remote control though as I'll use it for TV too and I don't want to have to get out of bed all of the time to adjust the volume.
Right now its just coming out of the preouts of the TV, nothing special. Its enough volume for my room for sure. If the Denon outs are just a little stronger than the TV, I think I'll be satisfied. But, I'm still looking into preouts and EQs as well...
Check the specs on the Denon and see if the outs are constant voltage or variable (go up n down with the main volume). You'd be surprised how many are constant. And constantly low at that.

if anyone ever questions these amps DO NOT HEISATE. just got a xls 2500 and 2 jbl jrx 115s for 420$ amp is AMAZING!@! just had to put that out there lol 8 ohm bridge it just about poped my tc9 15
****, I would easily shell out that cash, and add several hundred to obtain those three items. Hawt **** nice score dude.

do you know the output voltage of the mixer you posted? couldnt find that spec. but really 20 + db?!?! i may pick one up black friday even tho i should really be saving for a car!. so question it goes ipod - mixer - amp correct? like standard rca to 3.5mm (ipod cord) rca to rca from mixer? you have the specific mixer you posted?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

i also just got a xls 1000 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif preatty good deal on that 225$ basically new delivered to my house og box and recipt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Check the specs on the Denon and see if the outs are constant voltage or variable (go up n down with the main volume). You'd be surprised how many are constant. And constantly low at that.
What are some cheap preamps to look at?

I was thinking about maybe an Audiosource EQ200....granted the preouts are pretty strong, it's a win win

do you know the output voltage of the mixer you posted? couldnt find that spec. but really 20 + db?!?! i may pick one up black friday even tho i should really be saving for a car!. so question it goes ipod - mixer - amp correct? like standard rca to 3.5mm (ipod cord) rca to rca from mixer? you have the specific mixer you posted?

Yeah, I have that particular model and couple others. No, don't know the output voltage but would think it would be variable from 0v on up depending on input and gains. From the manual regarding gain potential: Unbalanced (RCA) +16dBV, Balanced (XLR) +22dBV.

There's a charging iPod dock that you can even upload your mixing sessions into, so if you're running an iPod, just dock it. Other devices can use the 3.5mm-RCA input option. There's countless routing options depending on gear, but yeah, the most direct route is: audio source into the mixer, mixer (XLR or RCA outs) to amp inputs (Crown XLS amps have both RCA and XLR inputs), amp to speakers, your *** to court for disturbing the peace.

It's not the "end-all, be-all" pre-amp option or anything like that but for the $$ it does everything I've ever asked of it and more. I've ran three other mixers and several EQ's and crossovers in the same setup and I prefer that iM9 unit over everything else.

What are some cheap preamps to look at?
I was thinking about maybe an Audiosource EQ200....granted the preouts are pretty strong, it's a win win
I looked but didn't see any gain available from that Audio Source unit other than the +/- 12dB/octave sliders. Looks like a nice EQ though. There's a lot of decent name brand options in the $100 - $120 range. I'd just recommend staying away from Nady, Behringer, and other bottom-dollar brands. I'm not hating on Behringer. I really tried to like them, but after going through about 6-7 different analog and digital/parametric EQ's, crossovers, and compressors/limiters, I gave up. The sound was always crappy no matter what. I love pretty much everything from dbx and bbe, but they're a big jump in price.

I looked but didn't see any gain available from that Audio Source unit other than the +/- 12dB/octave sliders. Looks like a nice EQ though. There's a lot of decent name brand options in the $100 - $120 range. I'd just recommend staying away from Nady, Behringer, and other bottom-dollar brands. I'm not hating on Behringer. I really tried to like them, but after going through about 6-7 different analog and digital/parametric EQ's, crossovers, and compressors/limiters, I gave up. The sound was always crappy no matter what. I love pretty much everything from dbx and bbe, but they're a big jump in price.
Something like this? http://www.bbesound.com/products/sonic-maximizers/482i.aspx

Or even this: http://www.bbesound.com/products/sonic-maximizers/vg360.aspx

whats your thoughts on a dm1200? i just want the amps to be as loud as possible. im not into mixing. using it to just play music off my ipod.. i dont know too much about home audio or djing :O

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.