Crossover help. Upgrade with stock head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Maggs

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2009 Peugeot 207 and wish to upgrade the stock speakers as they are lacking quality and sound a bit tinny.

I want to keep things as basic as possible so don’t want to be adding an amp, although this may be a possibility in the future.

I want to keep the stock head unit which is an RD45 which from what I can find has 4x45W channels at 4ohms. I like the stock look but mainly it controls the clock and lots of the features so I don’t want to be messing with adaptors and losing functions.

There is currently a stock 6.5” speaker in all 4 doors and 2 tweeters on the dash. I would prefer to get components for the front and replace the dash tweeters but the crossovers are causing me concern. I don’t really want to run the wires through door wire rubber if I can avoid it as I can remember it being a pain in previous cars and I now have issues with my hands.

The stock tweeter currently has a capacitor soldered to it which I believe is to filter out the lower frequencies.

- So my question is - can I install the crossovers on the doors for the door speakers and just use a capacitor on the tweeters? Or can I add a second crossover on the stock tweeter connection which I am guessing is connected to the same channel as the fronts? Or would I be better off getting coaxials for the front and unplugging the stock tweets all together? Or just man up and run the wires from the crossover in the door to the tweeter housings? 

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.