crossed speaker wires

Participant count
  • Participant list

bryce-man
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
so i have a pa3000db and its been in its current setup for quite a while

i was running alot of arrands today and had it decently loud only once.. then i start my truck up after work and it goes into protect...

i look back there and nothing seens to be wrong untill i find that my speaker wires coming out of the amp had melted their surrond and touched.

now it goes into protect and then powers on but does nothing

...what do i do now?

Crack the case and look for burnt components. Unless you have a warranty, of course.

Sounds like you should've used bigger wire //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif What size were you using and at what ohm load?

i dont know atm cause im not about to go out side right now.. but im guessing 14 ga at .8 ohm

but yeah last week i reached back and felt the wires while they it was playing and they were pretty warm.. so im gonna use bigger wires for sure

With such a low impedance I'd run 12 or 10 gauge. Remeber that you can go down (numerically up) in gauge when the current splits, so you don't have to worry about running 10 to your sub terminals.

so i have a pa3000db and its been in its current setup for quite a while i was running alot of arrands today and had it decently loud only once.. then i start my truck up after work and it goes into protect...

i look back there and nothing seens to be wrong untill i find that my speaker wires coming out of the amp had melted their surrond and touched.

now it goes into protect and then powers on but does nothing

...what do i do now?
Rewire it. If it stays in protect then the amp needs repair. Call Chris at dB-r or look him up on here. Similar thing happend to me over the summer. I was setting the gain on my amp and had pulled the wires out of the crossover instead of at the amp, I was on the other side of the car with the multimeter setting the gain. All of the sudden the reading went to 0.00. Looked at the amp and the protect light was on. Looked over and saw the wires had bent back to their old postion and were touching on the other side of the car. "Expletive" Thought it might be okay but it just would not come out of protect no matter what I tried. Sent it to Chris and he had it fixed within a few weeks. Still running it today.

I wonder why there is a protect circuit on the amp if it doesn't actually protect anything.

I have an old Jensen 4 channel amp that I'm using temporarily, and I had the channels bridged and running a set of comps on each. I was finishing up the installation when I put a screw for a trim piece through the woofer wire from the crossover,and half the amp went into protect. I fixed the short and it still works perfectly.

I wonder why there is a protect circuit on the amp if it doesn't actually protect anything.
I have an old Jensen 4 channel amp that I'm using temporarily, and I had the channels bridged and running a set of comps on each. I was finishing up the installation when I put a screw for a trim piece through the woofer wire from the crossover,and half the amp went into protect. I fixed the short and it still works perfectly.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It was a dead short so maybe it only goes into protect in low ohm loads or can only handle so much. I really don't know.

yeah so i pulled the amp out and looked all over for burn marks and nothing

im gonna rewire it tomorow with 10 and hoefully itll come back on.

yeah .8 is kinda low but it doesnt go below 3.5 with music rise and its been fine for about half a year so idk

its rewired to 1 ohm..but becasue of all the overkill in speaker wire it reads 2.3 :/

i tryed out the amp and its still in protect.

i turned it on with the speakers hooked to the amp and not hooked to the amp same results.

the fan was running realy loud so i unpluged the fan and it still goes into protect.

anybody know of someone who repairs amps in sothern california?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.