Critique my proposed system!!

Croat23
10+ year member

Hey everyone. Check out the list below for my Mazda 6s.

Any advice/recommendations? What would you do differently? Keep in mind, I don't want a sub, so I'm really going for clarity and optimal bass, without a sub.

Front Speakers

-MB Quart

Rear Speakers

-JL Audio

Amplifier

-Phoenix Gold

or (not sure which is better)

-Phoenix Gold

Headunit

-Unknown - just know i want something with an aux in on the front.

Thoughts?

Something to keep in mind, a sub does not have to be blairing to be a sub. You COULD have a sub simply to cover the frequencies that your midbass would not cover. You would probably have a fuller, more rounded sound WITH a sub. Hell, maybe a single 8 or something.

scrap it all
Thanks for the worthless post.

---------------------------------------

Regarding the rear speakers, I've seen these classified as subs and speakers on different sites, so I guess I'm not sure what to call them...they're pretty much 6.5" subs I believe.

I should clarify, I don't want subs to take up space in my trunk/car, however I'd love to have as much bass as possible....which is why I was thinking of using those JLs in the rear doors.

Thanks guys!!

Looks good if you're looking for the no-sub setup. I would go with the second amp because it has more power. You're going to want to seal and sound-deaden the crap out out of your rear dash if you want to get somewhat decent bass out of those JL's. I would look at a H/U with variable crossovers and a decent EQ to run it all. Good luck

Oh yeah and also you might want to look at some kind of subsonic filter for those rears (FMOD maybe?) because you wont want them playing below 30-35hz or so (even that might be pushing it).

Hey everyone. Check out the list below for my Mazda 6s.
Any advice/recommendations? What would you do differently? Keep in mind, I don't want a sub, so I'm really going for clarity and optimal bass, without a sub.

Front Speakers

-MB Quart

Rear Speakers

-JL Audio

Amplifier

-Phoenix Gold

or (not sure which is better)

-Phoenix Gold

Headunit

-Unknown - just know i want something with an aux in on the front.

Thoughts?
its all good except amp is too small, a system that cr@ps out when you start to turn it up is very dissapointing, and this ^ will.

find an amp that delivers more like 100 watts to your fronts and 180 to your rears and your golden, sure its a lil more money but you will love it.

on second look that second pg amp MIGHT work? more power = more happy, you wont blow anything, it will just stay clean as it gets loud.

heres your hu,

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=DXZ775USB&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=95616&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Looks good if you're looking for the no-sub setup. I would go with the second amp because it has more power. You're going to want to seal and sound-deaden the crap out out of your rear dash if you want to get somewhat decent bass out of those JL's. I would look at a H/U with variable crossovers and a decent EQ to run it all. Good luck
So, I realize I'd have to do some heavy sound deadening, but I notice you specifically mentioned the rear dash. I wanted to mount these in the rear doors....are you saying that I'd have to do heavy deadening of the rear dash because of potential rattles or were you making the assumption that the subs would be mounted in the rear dash? Is it crazy to think these could be effectively mounted in the rear doors?

Thanks for the help!!

Is it crazy to think these could be effectively mounted in the rear doors?
With a 3.5" mounting depth? You tell me. It would be doable in my car only if I made about a 1" baffle; and even then it would only work in the rear doors because the windows don't go all the way down. Also, with a baffle that size and 15mm p-p excursion, I'd have to cut a hole in my door panel and attach a grill to the outside of the ABS, otherwise the speaker would be smacking my paneling at moderate volumes.

Sorry, but this question is very vehicle-specific, and I'm not familiar with your car. Look at depth and Xmax, then decide if it will work.

i like the idea crystal had, a single 8 would actuall be pretty tight in a quality setup, Good luck, and I would like to see a finished product

i doubt those ohs will go in the back door unless you have one of the half window roll down models.

interior amp i would say just to keep it simple go with a xtant 604 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif can be purchased for a relatively good price on the bay (Pre mitek). expandable to six channels, plenty of power, full filters and eq options to your hearts content all in one shiny chassis....and its sexy... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif i have three lol.

speakers- look at some rainbow slcs. ive been happy with my germs but you could get some slcs for about that price.

rainbow-xtant- and an entry level eclipse radio and your good to go....i still wouldnt go with the ohs in the back though. maybe in the front doors if you go with kickpanels and then coaxes in the rear, use the ohs as a "sub" but i couldnt see it in this setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.