Crimping help

Hammer and punch if you want to do it the ghetto way. Otherwise, a hammer crimper is cheap and you can probably use one for free at a shop.

I use hammer crimpers and they work fine for me. I don't see a reason to get an expensive hydraulic crimper

I just smash mine with a hammer. Then heat shrink looks good
Ive done this for years but one thing additional..I take a punch and hammer 3 indentions on each side of the terminal and then heat shrink. Ive taken and bolted the connection down grabbed the wiring and yanked the chit out of it and its never came loose. Ive pulled my old Acura Integra down the driveway when the timing belt broke/approx 200ft + with my truck when I couldnt locate my chain:D

991051e10de90754346649691d0bf2b9.png

Get one of these off eBay or Amazon only way to go... 25-35$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ I Used to do that but found out that method is very terrible.

It may be strong at first.. but after a few months, i dismantled an install where i used over 200 ring terminals and over 50% of them were so bad, the wires just pulled right out. Only reason why they didn't in the install is because all cabling is anchored down to prevent fraying over time.

I suggest using a GOOD hydraulic crimper. I'm not talking about a $2,700 Greenlee but not a $20 one either.

You must be careful purchasing cheap crimpers-

1- They are all made overseas in China mostly and their dyes they use are all metric.

Even if they list works from Range A to B in AWG ratings, it's Metric conversion ratings, it's not actual AWG ratings.

So, when purchasing lugs/terminals that were designed by the AWG rating, Metric dyes will be slightly off when crimping.

2- The Dye design. Cheap crimpers will use a dye design that may not be very effective once finished crimping. This will have an adverse effect on the longevity of the crimp over time.

3- The Bleed off Line. This right here is why I opt for a high quality Crimper. Yes, one that's closer to $300-500 range just for this.

If you do large installs where you will be crimping hundreds of terminals at a time, it's only wise to get a crimper with a bleed off line.

That way when crimping, without one, you risk blowing or leaking fluid from the crimper over time from putting too much pressure on the crimp.

With a bleed off line, the crimper will always drain excess fluid away when overcrimping to prevent a blowout.

Another key feature with better crimpers is you do not have to reset the crimper every time you compress the terminal.

Nobody has time to sit there and fiddle with the crimper after every compression when doing hundreds of terminals a day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.