craptastic stock system.. Car Audio place advised Preamp.. looked like tube amp? HELP

regxjin
10+ year member

SEOUL
I'm new to this site... hello everyone ^^

First off let me say.. I have not been in the car audio scene in over 10years.. so my knowledge is a bit oldschool & also very limited at this point.

Concerning my dilemma...

I live South Korea... I just bought a Renault-Samsung 2011 SM5...

However I did not choose the Bose audio option... [bIG REGRETS]

and I really really am disappointed with the stock panasonic sound system.

This stock system is just so.......... ugh~

The bass and power overall are a major disappointment.

With that said...

I went to the Car Audio store and asked what my options were.. without spending a boat load of money on custom car audio equipment & installation..

*important note*

I dont want to redo the whole system with amplifiers, speakers, woofers, etc...

I've been down that road before and it just didn't end too well...

I just want to make my system sound with a bit more bass w/ better sound quality...

*stock Bose / JBL-ish* would suffice just fine~

I dont need a huge thumping system that will break my budget...

Anyways....

The Car Audio place after much debate and thought while talking with me... suggested that installing a Preamp and connecting it to my stock headunit will improve the power and sound quality dramatically.....

And if I recall.. they showed me a tiny rectangular device with 4 tubes that look like tiny light bulbs inside of it...

Is this a tube preamp??

I think that is what they were talking about..

My korean ***** so a lot of what they were saying was lost in translation.

Anyways... my burning question is...

If I were to install "just" the tube preamp within my system...

what noticeable differences would there be... and also what would be the difference between a regular preamp vs. a tube preamp??

And do you car audio gurus think this is the best way to go for budget and ideal purposes?

Can anyone confirm and give me their advice on if this is actually the best way to go???

Thanks a bunch.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this matter.. I have been searching google for the last hour for tube preamp car audio info.. and there just isn't much info on there.

hmmm.. thanks for the input.

I know that's the more conventional audio set up...

However, I would like to know more about tube preamps and how it may enhance the sound quality.

If there is anyone here who has direct experience in using tube preamps.. chime in and let me know of your experience with them.

Thanks~

Without an amp as well, it can't do anything at all. With amps after it in the signal chain, it can have the effect of making the system sound more like a system with tube amps. I guess that could be good if you're into that type of sound. Not very practical IMO.

Change the head unit even a100 deck will sound better than the stock one
Yeah I realize that my headunit is a POS at this point. However.. but I realize that a head unit install in my vehicle would be pretty difficult.. And I really do prefer the stock look in my car as well....

A Bewith MM-1 sounds would be so awesome right about now.. unfortunately, do not have 2,500 bucks to shell out..

pic of my headunit attached.

You could try something like the Waves Maxxbass 103, Audiocontrol Epicenter, or an Orion/PPI Maxxbass.
hmm.. do these really work?

I do have a one of those epic failed stock system 8" woofers.

I'lll look into it thanks.

ok...

So get this...

I came to a conclusion yesterday...

And I probably need to get an amp, subwoofers.. etc.

I headed over to the car audio shop today.

Purchased an older model Eclipse Premium 32440 4channel Amp.

And also 1 JL Audio 13" woofer w/ enclosing.

I'll be running the Front "stock" speakers and also the woofer through the amp.

I have not touched the front and rear speakers, nor the head unit yet..

I plan to work on that sometime within the month or next...

Do you think it will improve the power and sound quality overall from the stock system?

I'm also wondering... is it safe to run a power amp to front stock speakers if I keep the volume at a respectable level?

The audio engineer told me to as long as I dont put too much stress on the speakers.. it should be fine for now.

Anyways.. thanks for everyone's input. I think the conventional way is the better way to do it... I hope this solves some of the lack thereof for the time being until I figure out what to do with the rest of the system..

And to Horsemanwill.. I searched the JBL MS8... **** that **** is probably what I actually need.. unfortunately they dont have any auto-tune devices yet here in Korea. Not sure why.. But it would have been sweet to get my hands on one of those.. for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.