How much a cheap amp compared to a high end amp affects a subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Stealth Owner
10+ year member

I currently have 2 12 inch Alpine DVC Type R's (4 ohm) in a ported box running to a 2400 watt Power Acoustik amp that is around 5 years old. My system does hit good but a few friends that I know that have systems sound totally different from mine. Their subs sound much more deeper and you can hear them while outside the car and even far away, but mine don't do that at all. The other week, I called my local aftermarket car place and explained my problem and they basically said it's because I have a cheap amp. The guy told me I'd need a good amp that has to be around 1,000 watts and at least 700 watts. With all this said, my question is was the guy correct that my amp is the problem? I have been looking around and decided to probably get the Alpine MPR-M1000 Amp. I'd plan to run the subs to the amp at 2 Ohms which would result in 1,000 watts. Good amp in general? And for $300?

You'll still be unhappy. I'm not sure why you want it to be heard outside the car either. The difference in sound comes from the subs, the enclosure and the interaction of those two things with the car. You could swap out amps all day and the only difference is going to be a change in volume. Not going to make the subs play lower.

You'll still be unhappy. I'm not sure why you want it to be heard outside the car either. The difference in sound comes from the subs, the enclosure and the interaction of those two things with the car. You could swap out amps all day and the only difference is going to be a change in volume. Not going to make the subs play lower.
Agreed and very well stated.

is your amp the a2400db?

That was a pretty well respected budget line of amps when they were current. It should produce well over 1000w rms at 1 ohm.

Are you sure your dvc 4's are wired correctly at 1 ohm?

What type and size of box are they in?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.